News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Darkside

Started by gmr1, April 26, 2010, 06:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmr1

Built this up last night. A little "dark" sounding (funny, considering the project name...) unless the tone and sustain are close to cranked. I'm going to drop the high-cut 1n caps to something in the 470-560pf range, and hopefully it'll be perfect.

mjcyates

Very nice, clean build. I am not familiar with that particular overdrive. What does it compare to?

gmr1

Quote from: mjcyates on April 26, 2010, 06:14:41 PM
Very nice, clean build. I am not familiar with that particular overdrive. What does it compare to?
Thanks. It's a big muff variant. To my ears it's slightly more refined/even than the BMP. Unfortunately my build is also lacks top-end unless cranked. Other than not using all metal film resistors (which isn't going to be that big of a change), I can think of a reason why. It's very nice sounding, I just wish it had a bit more tonal range. Shouldn't be much of a problem to get it sounding like I'd like.

CapnCrunch

Hey Gmr1,

How has this turned out for you?  This pedal is one of the primary reasons I want to build pedals.  I was wondering if you got the issues sorted out, and what you did to resolve the clarity or presence issue.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you find those knobs?  Those are cool in a sort of understated way.  I haven't seen any like them before.

gmr1

I've left it alone for now. I find it a bit dark still, but into my AC15 at band volumes, it's nice sounding. I guess it's supposed to be somewhat dark, so I can't really call it a flaw. it's certainly smoother than a normal big muff - more a distortion than fuzz. I'm still deciding if I want to mess with it.

The knobs are old. I got a bag of them as part of a bulk purchase on eBay a few years ago. I'm very fond of them, and would love to find more - no luck so far.

Quote from: CapnCrunch on May 12, 2010, 07:26:30 AM
Hey Gmr1,

How has this turned out for you?  This pedal is one of the primary reasons I want to build pedals.  I was wondering if you got the issues sorted out, and what you did to resolve the clarity or presence issue.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you find those knobs?  Those are cool in a sort of understated way.  I haven't seen any like them before.