News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy questions - Calling all aquaboy experts please!

Started by chordball, December 06, 2012, 01:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chordball

I have an aquaboy project I bought from another member a while back and am about ready to box her up, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask the experts.

This is a dual MN3005 with modulation build. I built it stock first with a single MN3005 and now have good functioning modulation and double delay add-ons.

1) How loud should the wet signal be versus the dry throughout the pot rotation and at full clockwise? In my build I get the impression that my wet signal is way too strong compared to dry, making it hard to dial in the more subtle amounts of wet, and at full clockwise the wet signal is just ridiculously loud compared to dry. Is this normal? In the aquapuss "manual" online it says it goes from "mild to wild" or something similar. I had DM-2 for a short period and don't recall this happening. I socketed R33 and inserted a pot to dial in a just slightly louder wet vs mix blend at full clockwise. That value ended up being 130k. Is this reasonable or should I look for some problem prior to this point? Also, does having a value this large affect the overall sound of the effect in a way other than just lowering the wet signal level?

2) At what point should a stock build (i.e. a real aquapuss) start self oscillating and at what delay time? On my build it starts self oscillating very early and before half of the pot rotation. I socketed R31 and found a good value to be 130k here as well. At this point it does not self-oscillate at the long delay times with 2 MN3005's. At shorter settings it starts to self oscillate with the feedback pot near full clockwise. Is this what I should be looking for? Also, does this affect the sound of the effect in a way other than changing the point of self-oscillation and allowing me to dial in a wider range of feedback? My tests suggest no but I'd like a more technical answer if possible.

3) Have any of you tried an audio taper pot for the delay time? With 2 MN3005's I'm finding it's hard to dial in the shorter delay times now. I think a W taper pot would be perfect here but they're not around.

I should say that I am very pleased with this as I have it but I want to be sure that I'm getting the most out of it. Any help would be much appreciated.  ;D

sclemmer

Bumping this in hopes of an answer as I am having the same problem(s).

madbean

There's nothing wrong with using a higher value for R33. This is a mixing resistor only. If 130k works for you, then you are good to go. Are you running it a 15v? That may explain higher volume to some degree vs. the DM-2.

With the feedback: yes, shorter delay times will oscillate sooner than longer ones. Nature of the beast for a positive feedback cycle like this. Same as above, use whatever value resistor works for you. It is a mixing resistor. The cap preceding it is 220n which will pass pretty much the whole guitar frequency range.

You can use an audio taper on the delay pot if it suits you. It will work, although I have never tried this myself.