Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wire Stripper Suggestion?

Started by Micpoc, December 15, 2012, 09:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

Quote from: pickdropper on December 16, 2012, 06:04:50 PM
There are the ones I use:

I use these, but a different make. Work great everytime and been using them on and off (mostly off) for about 10 years now.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

hammerheadmusicman

Yeah, those are the same, my grandad has the rolson ones, but I bought the red un branded ones, they look the same, well worth the money!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

dodgechargerfan

Quote from: Grigori on December 16, 2012, 05:50:57 PM
Quote from: dodgechargerfan on December 16, 2012, 12:02:09 PMThose Rolson snipper/strippers look great. I'd love to have a set of those.
I can't seem to find a source in North America though.

These look to be quite similar... http://www.amazon.com/Klenk-Two-Wire-Cutter-Stripper-Small/dp/B0007ZKMU6

Thanks!

I did some more searching and found them on an airplane parts and supply site that would accept PayPal AND ship to Canada for 10 bucks.

I bought both sizes of the strippers. 26 to 16 AWG and the 10 to 14 AWG.

I iz a happy.

Axe_34

I'm in the market for one -- chipped a tooth being stupid last week.  >:(  :-\

culturejam

I use a Ideal T-Stripper similar to this one:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

irmcdermott

Bassman

Quote from: culturejam on December 16, 2012, 11:07:29 PM
I use a Ideal T-Stripper similar to this one:

I must be retarded or something but... I can never get those darn things to strip anything!  I have a pair of the exact one you linked and all I use them for it tightening nuts with.....

culturejam

Quote from: Bassman on December 17, 2012, 01:55:49 AM
I must be retarded or something but... I can never get those darn things to strip anything! 

Clamp on the wire, rotate the tool around the wire a bit, and then slide the insulation off.

Bassman

Quote from: culturejam on December 17, 2012, 02:05:36 AM

Clamp on the wire, rotate the tool around the wire a bit, and then slide the insulation off.

Yep that is how I operate them except the wire just slips through laughing at me while keeping it's insulation intact  :-\  Perhaps I got a bad pair...

mandrewbot3k

For $4.87 shipped, I figured I'd give these guys a shot. I'll let you know how (or if) they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Adjust-Wire-Stripper-with-Cutter-LIFETIME-WARRANTY-/190733775482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c689e727a
I'm sorry I don't know how to make the image smaller.

Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

culturejam

Quote from: Bassman on December 17, 2012, 02:09:46 AM
Yep that is how I operate them except the wire just slips through laughing at me while keeping it's insulation intact  :-\  Perhaps I got a bad pair...

Maybe. But are you sure you're using the correct gauge "slot" on the strippers?  (< man that sounds funny)

GermanCdn

Irwin's put out a unit similar the the Radio Shack unit mentioned early, you can pick them up for about $20 at Lowe's.  Does a really nice job, can strip ribbons all at the same time, and it's a heavy duty unit, so you're not going to bend the teeth or break the handles.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

dodgechargerfan

Quote from: roflcopter on December 17, 2012, 07:10:49 PM
For $4.87 shipped, I figured I'd give these guys a shot. I'll let you know how (or if) they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Adjust-Wire-Stripper-with-Cutter-LIFETIME-WARRANTY-/190733775482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c689e727a
I'm sorry I don't know how to make the image smaller.

If they're good and solid, they will be nice to work with.

I've had a set of those from Princess Auto and they were cheap and flimsy.
They worked great until they started to break down.

jeffaroo

Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

nzCdog

Well if its the nice one's your after... get a thermal stripper!  ;D

We had a whole bunch of different wire strippers at school, (including most of the above) tbh most of the time the easiest thing to use was just a sharp pair of cutters.   :o

I still use these at home, but due for a new set soon: