News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cinco de Mayan

Started by pickdropper, December 22, 2012, 03:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

In honor of the 2012 Mayan calendar, yesterday I put together a Mayan artwork themed Cinco de Mayan (Mayo Muff) build.  In my haste to drill it out at work during lunchtime, I completely screwed up the drilling (all of my input/output sockets were punched 180 degrees out of phase).  I didn't notice until I went to drill the DC socket.  I was able to salvage the case, but I ended up with the input being socket in a different location than I usually put it and my first glory hole by the output socket. 

I had just verified the board and wanted to play with it over the holiday so I decided to build it anyway.  Besides, an extra hole in my Mayan pedal isn't the end of the world.   :mrgreen:

I really like the artwork, so I will probably build another with proper in/out socket orientation for my mini board at some point and either put this on a different board, or sell it off.

For this build, I decided to do a 1590A through-hole board as a change of pace from my normal SMT stuff.  At the time, I didn't have BC550 trannies, so I built it with 5088s.  I received some BC550s yesterday, so I will build another Mayo board with those to compare.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Very cool graphic work... and nice layout!
You could say, that like the Mayan calendar predictions this pedal in its honour is 'full of holes'  ::) ;D

pickdropper

Quote from: nzCdog on December 22, 2012, 04:06:18 PM
Very cool graphic work... and nice layout!
You could say, that like the Mayan calendar predictions this pedal in its honour is 'full of holes'  ::) ;D

Haha, well played.
Function f(x)

gtr2

cool build, in true to pickdropper tradition  ;D

Glad to see this the day after the world ended as we know it  8)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Axe_34

Quote from: gtr2 on December 22, 2012, 04:23:22 PM

Correct. His builds are inspiring me to look into etching. Outstanding stuff.

BTW Pickdropper, can you suggest any online resources for someone looking to get into etching enclosures?

pickdropper

Quote from: Axe_34 on December 22, 2012, 05:36:25 PM

BTW Pickdropper, can you suggest any online resources for someone looking to get into etching enclosures?

Hey Axe, I learned through trial and error, so I don't really have any particular online resources I can point you to.  However, I can help explain how to setup the artwork for the results that I get.  The artwork is actually the key, IMHO.  The laser engraver is just a cool tool to execute it.

As far as the actual engraving, I think the best idea is to look and see if there are any Trophy shops in your area.  These days most of them have laser engravers.  I know Rej brings his stuff to a local shop, and there are some other folks that do that as well.  I am actually trying to find one local to me as I can't always use the one at my work.
Function f(x)

jtn191

Very nice! Do you have any more pcbs? I was thinking about 1590a muff as I was driving home!

pickdropper

Quote from: jtn191 on December 29, 2012, 10:50:33 PM
Very nice! Do you have any more pcbs? I was thinking about 1590a muff as I was driving home!

Yeah, I think I have 6 or so of them.  Shoot me a PM.

Function f(x)

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on December 22, 2012, 06:01:13 PM
Quote from: Axe_34 on December 22, 2012, 05:36:25 PM

Hey Axe, I learned through trial and error, so I don't really have any particular online resources I can point you to.  However, I can help explain how to setup the artwork for the results that I get.  The artwork is actually the key, IMHO.  The laser engraver is just a cool tool to execute it.

I would also love to hear your advice on how to setup the artwork. I really want to do a laser engraving...

jeffaroo

*Raises a Corona in your honor !!!*    ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Loztboy

Chinchen

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thats so awesome! I really like how you offset the knobs like that.  ;)
Your PCB layout skills are top notch! I'd be interested in building one or maybe a few of these.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on January 04, 2013, 02:37:41 AM
Thats so awesome! I really like how you offset the knobs like that.  ;)
Your PCB layout skills are top notch! I'd be interested in building one or maybe a few of these.

Thanks Man,

I have a couple of the proto boards left over.  Shoot me a PM if you want any.  I may also do a small run later as well.
Function f(x)