News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Mayan Son

Started by pickdropper, January 05, 2013, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Well, despite a fantastic glory hole, somebody heard the Cinco de Mayan pedal I built and had to have it.  I really liked it, so I built another one for myself.  This time I tried BC550 trannies instead of 5088.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

wgc

What, no smd...? :o

Looks fantastic!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Quote from: wgc on January 05, 2013, 06:58:32 PM
What, no smd...? :o

Looks fantastic!

Yeah, I try to mix it up.  I decided to do a through-hole layout this time.
Function f(x)

DutchMF

Damn, stop punishing us with these fantastic builds!!!!  ;)

Looks awesome man, you should start selling these and make a fortune! just mention Brian (and the rest of us) when you do!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jtn191

brilliant as usual! where do you get those knobs?

pickdropper

Quote from: jtn191 on January 05, 2013, 08:52:05 PM
brilliant as usual! where do you get those knobs?

They come from Small Bear.  Not only are they my favorite knobs for 1590a builds, they are also quite reasonable in quantity.
Function f(x)

Haberdasher

great job as always pd.  what version muff is this?  did I miss it?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 06, 2013, 01:25:04 AM
great job as always pd.  what version muff is this?  did I miss it?

It's a board layout I did somewhat recently.  I have a couple extra protos and will be getting more soon.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

I know this thread is a bit old, but I am curious about the electro cap you used. It looks like it is 5mm high, but the shorter 100 uF cap I can find is 7mm (16V, Panasonic KA series). Am I missing something?

Otherwise, congrats for the build and the board layout, my boards are still waiting to be populated... but it shouldn't be long before they are (the first will be a P19).

rullywowr

Mouser has a bunch of 5mm 100uF.  I use these all the time due to the shorter profile.  They are larger in diameter however so you have to be careful to make sure they fit the layout.

Panasonic
http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Electronic-Components/ECE-A1EKS101/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22ZGaUoI0JcRfEugGQ6W16YU%3d

There are nichicon and others as well.  Just do a search for 100uF electros and then narrow down by case length.  They are a few cents more than say a regular 100uF but its worth it for the case height bonus.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

I have 5mm Nichicons and 7mm Panasonics.  Both fit fine in a 1590A if you plan out the build right.  I don't even use low profile 1/4" jacks.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

Ah, yes, I knew about the 8mm wide Panasonic caps, but I forgot to check Nichicon... here they are: http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UMR1C101MDD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22WtsULTSzi9O12oVLEOosHU%3d

But yes, you are right, 7mm is small enough for mini builds (and the Panasonic are five times cheaper).

Roctopus

pro level build man. good job!

jubal81

Just spectacular! That's as beautiful gut shot as I've ever seen.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair