News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Volume pot issue

Started by Bman40, January 10, 2013, 01:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bman40

Hey all - I just finished a Mudbunny build - my third project to date (Thnderpuss and a GGG Fuzz Face also complete).

I had HUGE trouble with the crap wire I used breaking at the PCB when tried to install it... very stressful.

I have a weird issue wth the volume pot. I was super careful not to let the pot get too hot - I cooked one once in trying to make a perfboard fuzz - but when I test the cicuit it works, when I get it all in the enclosure it works, but when I tighten the bolt on the pot to the enclosure - the volume kicks out. 

i think its shorting somewhere, somehow - is it when the top of the metal pot / solder tabs touch the enclsoure? If i wrap the whole thing up in electrical tape (kidding - but if I try and insulate the top of teh box with tape or the pot itelf)

If I leave the pot in 'loose' (not tight to the box) it works....

Any thoughts?

thanks

Barry

jimilee

I do put electrical tape on the tops of mine to keep it from shorting out. I had the same issue once.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

I use 3M double sided foam tape, but leave the cover on the one side.  Prevents shorts and gives a little cushion.  Or pot condoms.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Bman40