News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wambler 65?

Started by 9Lives, January 12, 2013, 07:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

Hi every one, sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I've been experimenting extensively with rf amps building linear amps for cb radio. I've got plenty more experience under my belt and I wanna use some of these fets I have for an overdrive. By the popularity of these od/ amp type distortion I was surprised there wasn't too many designs out there. Ideally I'd like to design each stage from scratch using the data sheets but we'll see how that goes.

I've got a butt load of 2sk117 and dying to see how they sound. I know Brian is the mac daddy at pedal designs so i thought about using the 85 as a starting point.how how does every one line it? Is it better than the drboogie? Has any one use the 2sk117 as a sub? If so how does it sound. Thanks in advance

jimilee

Quote from: 9Lives on January 12, 2013, 07:19:15 AM
Hi every one, sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I've been experimenting extensively with rf amps building linear amps for cb radio.
So you make little radios into big radios for over the road drivers? Have any experience with ham,I have questions.....
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sirbergersworth

Ham comes from a pig/ hog / swine!
lmao. Sorry ;-)
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

9Lives

I'm no pro, but I have a pretty decent understanding.. trying atleast. :) and yes, that's exactly what I do, take cobra 29's and force them to put out 40 watts lol. The pic is the last amp I just built from scratch. It's NOT my design but it works well. 1 watt in produces 60 watt dead key and 250 peak, 150 avg watts.

Ask away, if I can't answer it we can figure it out some how

jimilee

Well i was looking for information on building a handheld transceiver, do they make kits or PCB's?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

9Lives

9Lives

What you trying do exactly? A simple walkie or are you wanting something more powerful? What bands are you operating on?

I haven't seen a pcb for one but I also haven't looked. Let me know some details and I'll look through my normal go-to to see what I can find.

jimilee

Prolly a simple walkie talkie. I don't have my license yet, I just thought it'd be cool to build one and I've always wanted my License, so it'd be a cool time to do both.

9Lives

Your right, that would be a fun project.and I don't know any off hand but it's GOT to be a pretty normal project so I'll find something. And I'm a very good at designing pcb and etching from eagle so if we can't find anything I'll etch a schematic fir you, and if you don't have any rf stuff I can help you out there as well.

I started my hobby building pedals and from being a truck driver gained interested in cb radio. Broad casting rf Is amazing man. It's so freaking interesting.

jimilee

That'd be awesome, thank you.

9Lives

Are you wanting cb freq? Ham has a very wide band in which they op. I don't have my licence yet either but I've messed w it some hehe.
What it's your build level if you don't mind me asking? I just googled walkie transceiver schematic and for a broad range from 2 transistor, to dual gate fets all the way to full radio schematics.

jimilee

Ham frequencies are what I'm after, as far as my build level, novice. I've built 6 pedals, but if you can give me instructions, I can build it.

9Lives

Ok. I've found some cool stuff on qrp sites. Looks pretty involved with multi band.. I don't suggest. I know from tuning linears unless you just got lucky and stumbled into some good radio test equip, it gets expensive fast tuning all of the rf transformers/ tank circuits.. BUT there are some easy single band transceivers that are, kind of, pick a freq and stick with it.

You need, microphone amp, audio chip, modulator, rf amp fir transmit, and separate rf amp and if filter for receiving. This may or may not sound scary to you, but it's all about the level of patience and love you have for what your doing. Just like building pedals, at first seems impossible, next thing you know your reading schematics like English.
www.vanyi.net/homemade/homebrew-hf-ssb-transceivers/
Have a looksy here and let me know what you think. These are a collection of qrp home brew transceivers specifically for ham junkies

jimilee

Cool, will do. Patience is not a problem, I find building therapeutic. Never been good at diy until I found pedal building. I'll check it out and see what I think. Thanks again.

9Lives

Here we go man! I've got just the thing for you.
www.tentec.com/categories/Kits/
They have kits ranging from 20m-80m band, they also have a popular 2m 6m side band kit. I think if I were you I would get one from here. I could etch pcb all day but some of these parts are very very delicate when it comes to tuning. Building a walkie talkie is one thing but when your talking ham bands I'm not sure an etched pcb would come out satisfactory unless you were very experienced with transceivers. These kits look pretty badass and you can pick and invest what you want into it.