News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low rider flabby down octaves

Started by aballen, February 05, 2013, 02:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I just built my low rider and I modded it removing c10 and c12 and putting. 1n in c10

I have to say the upper octave does not sound like an octave up it sounds the same note.   It is as loud as my clean though.  The first down I a bit weaker and the second down is just plain weak and flabby...

Sounds awesome but I'm wondering If I should be getting more volume from the lower octaves?  Is this normal or a result of the mod?

aballen

Should I have jumpered c12?  Ok after looking at the schematic I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea

midwayfair

Quote from: aballen on February 05, 2013, 02:47:01 AM
Should I have jumpered c12?  Ok after looking at the schematic I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea

no no no, do not jumper that.

Check the build doc for tips on getting the upper octave dialed in. It will not be super prominent. And the "clean" can ALWAYS get louder than bypass or the down octaves.

The down octaves sound quieter partly because of how our ears work, though. Treble always sounds louder than bass of the same amplitude.

icecycle66

No, don't jumper shit. Only jumper when explicitly directed by the build docs.

I burned out a couple IC chips jumpering something that looked like is should have been but didn't actually need to be. on my Lowrider build.  Don't make my mistake.

aballen

With the mod the upper octave is equally loud compared to the clean.

The upper octave seems more like an "upper octave"  not an "octave up"  to me it really just sounds like a fuzzed version of the clean.  Don't get me wrong, it sounds freaking awesome... just not one octave up.

The lower ones are not as loud, but I think I'll be able to crank them all the way up, and go easy on the clean and upper if I want balance.  Maybe I'll stick a booster in front.  Time to play :D

This pedal sounds freaking amazing.  Hopefully I can get it boxed and entered in to the contest this month.  Brian is right, it does a great organ sound.

madbean

Yeah, that's a good description...it's more of an upper octave sound than an octavia. Really, it is texture and color and works best dialed in with the lower octaves.

I should probably just change the description in the build doc because I believe it leads people to expect something that this design just does not do.

aballen

Brain,  thanks for letting me know I was right about this.  I wasn't sure it was ready to box.  It definitely rocks.

Time to figure out graphics.  Not my strong point, but this pedal sounds so sweet I'm going to try make it look real good.  I plan on calling mine the "Double Down" with two playing cards showing 7&4 ... You know.  Always double down on 11