News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

non-madbean: apis 1590b friendly wiring help

Started by InspectorToschi, February 05, 2013, 07:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InspectorToschi

Long time lurker first time poster. Wiring has never been a strong suite of mine even though it should be an easy concept to have grasped by now. I'm attempting to finish the wiring on a beehive APIS circuit (1590b friendly klon). I'm going about heat shrinking any terminals & etc. that may cause a short so wiring through trial and error isn't exactly possible this time without alot of hacking and cutting...and headaches. I've decided to draw up a crude diagram beforehand of the wiring needed but due to my lack of knowledge, I am running into a snag in regards to where a few things may go, or if any vacancies or errors have been made already. I am following MidWayFares builds from this site and the babyboardbuild pdf as reference and have taken the same approach to wiring as both have used (as well as same parts), at least as far as I am able to make out. Right now my crude diagram, which is pictured below, looks too sparse for comfort. something must be/is missing, I know theres a ground that goes to the input somewhere. could someone do me a kindness and give it a look over and tell me what should be going where, or if i'm botching things royally already? it would be much appreciated.

pedalman

looks good. i usually ground at least one of those jacks
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

hoodoo

jkokura

Two major errors is that your connection from the DC Jack and the LED CLR is on the wrong spot - it shouldn't go to the ground lug, it should go to the +9V lug.

However, I believe that there's an onboard LED CLR on that PCB, and that it should be what you connect the long lead of the LED to.

Also, there needs to be a ground connection to the jacks from the PCB or switch and the DC Jack. All your grounds have to connect to one point, be it whichever jack you want or something else.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

InspectorToschi

hey thanks alot for all the help folks, and especially for the link hoodoo :) clears up alot of confusion, gonna go ahead and revise my diagram and hope to get the time tomorrow to hook it all up.

InspectorToschi

so i finally went about wiring up the board as i had the day off and as expected, ive run into some discouraging problems. I went ahead and utilized the madbean wiring diagram this time and everything appears to be going to where it should be. i polished up once crude diagram beforehand just to make sure i didn't dig myself into a hole i couldnt get out of and this is where everything is currently going. the end result is that its very noisy and has a consistent hum whether or not it is bypassed, and even then it doesnt do anything with my guitar signal (just a hum). when I was unplugging it, i noticed that if the jack is in half way or so in the output, it distorts like it should and sounds like a klon but is still riddled with noise and has a loud squeal whether or not im playing anything. Im now wondering if im getting my wires crossed in regards to what poles are what on the isolated plastic jacks im using. first off, can someone tell me if the poles are designated correctly on my diagram for the jacks (as if looking at them from the bottom), and if that looks good, if my wiring is correct on the diagram below with the madbean revisions? If im mixing up the poles,  fear i may have an error in my grounding but if thats not the problem i may have something amiss on the board itself.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

InspectorToschi

they seem to be all plastic. they're the same exact ones used in the madbeanbabyboard build guide

jimilee

Right, I see that the owner sorry. I was studying the diagram and didn't read the whole post.. May need to either break our the audio probe or post pictures.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.