News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus Issues

Started by stonerboner, March 15, 2013, 04:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonerboner

Hey folks. Just finished soldering and wiring up my Nautilus and am having issues, was wondering if anyone could potentially shed light on my situation. Wired up and running my guitar through it, I get bypass. When I engage the footswitch, I still get signal, but its essentially my clean signal with a bunch of highs rolled off. The Led's don't light up and most of the knobs/switches do nothing to alter the signal (the gain knob however does affect the volume accurately). When I have the pedal engaged for about a minute, a regular repetitive click can be heard from the amp. I've looked over it time and again and everything seems to be soldered in the correct location. All of the solder joints look fine from what I can tell. One thing that could be a potential that I wanted to check with you bright folks, when I installed C10 on the board, I bent the legs a little far and cracked a little bit of the capacitor's shell. This is very possibly my issue but I wanted to get some feedback before I went ahead and ordered a new one. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

midwayfair

Post your voltages on the op amp. Sounds like maybe you aren't getting power or ground to the board, actually ... No LEDs lighting up and a muffled sound (your signal can, believe it or not, make it all the way through to the output without power if ground and power aren't connected properly).

trickpony

What Midwayfair said and also:

Those little wire strands have me spooked. On the top side around the sweep and the range..snip those away.

You say the leds don't light up...do you have more than the bypass/engaged led? Maybe a picture of your 3pdt?

Also does adjusting the Vol trimmer do anything?:
Vol – This trimmer allows you to select the output gain of the effect. It will normally be set full
counter-clockwise, but can be adjusted should you experience volume loss when the effect is
turned on.

stonerboner

Well definitely not getting power anywhere. Here are the readings:
IC1
1: .004
2: .003
3: .008
4: 0
5: 0
6: 0
7: -.001
8: -.001
9 0
10: 0
11: 0
12: 0
13: 0
14:0

IC2
1:-.008
2: -.007
3: 0
4: 0
7: 0
8: -0.12
9: 0
10: 0
11: 0
12: 0
13: 0
14: -.017

IC5
1: 0
2: .002
3: 0
4: .007
7: .011
8: 0

trickpony, i'll be sure to cut those away and i'll post a picture shortly of the 3pdt. I have also messed with the trimmer, it doesn't affect the signal at all.

midwayfair

Time to check continuity on all 9v and ground connections. If you're using a battery, measure the battery.

the3secondrule

+1. Don't worry about the stomp switch until you have power to the board...

Quote from: midwayfair on March 15, 2013, 07:35:45 PM
Time to check continuity on all 9v and ground connections. If you're using a battery, measure the battery.
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

wgc

There's a few solder joints that might not be everything they could be.  Remove all the spatter.  And double check your wiring, it's easy to swap a wire without realizing it when they're all the same color.  Good luck!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

stonerboner

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Apologies for not keeping up with  my own thread. It's been an incredibly busy couple weeks and I haven't had time to sit down and work through the pedal issues but I'll be sure to post back this week when I get a chance to mess around with it.

stonerboner

Sorry for my absence, life's been pretty crazy the past few weeks. I've been testing different points for power continuity on the board and it seems like i've potentially isolated part of the problem, though i'm sure where to look from here. I'm getting continuity to one side of R18 and R19 but nothing on the other side. I tested for resistance on both R18 and R19, I'm getting an ohm reading of 70k for both. R18 is a 180k and R19 is a 120k (i just verified that the correct values are indeed in place). Could this be the source of my problem? If so, how should I approach it? Thanks all for your patience.