News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Patsyface - No power from DC jack - hairbrained wiring?

Started by camsna, January 05, 2011, 12:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camsna

So. I've (almost) got my Patsyface working. Turns out, I burned up a transistor - Q1. Or, I received a bad one -- but that's hardly likely. But it works otherwise. It sounds a bit like poo since I haven't really biased it and since, filling in for Q1, is a cheap-o $0.25 PNP. The only remaining technical problem is...

It doesn't power off of a 9v power supply (PP2+). Battery? Fine. PP2 - no dice. I think it may have something to do with my wiring, so here's the diagram I was following as well as the minor changes I made to it.

Here's the original:

It has three different connections from "Board Ground" and two from 9v-. Since the Patsyface board only has one Board Ground connection and 1 9v- connection, I did this:

Did I goof?

jkokura

You need a special cable for using a power supply. It has a white end. If your not using this cable, you will never have it work, and may damage the supply and/or the transistors.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

camsna

Quote from: jkokura on January 05, 2011, 12:33:43 PM
You need a special cable for using a power supply. It has a white end. If your not using this cable, you will never have it work, and may damage the supply and/or the transistors.

Jacob

Isn't this wiring diagram meant to avoid such a cable? (It even says use tip-negative only...)

camsna

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

camsna

Derp derp DERP! So sorry for being so dense! You had recommended this diagram in an earlier thread and I had assumed that it was meant to do something that it does not do. I had expresses (though not clearly enough, obviously) that I wanted to accomplisg a Patsyface build that would run on either a battery or a standard-polarity cable from my PP2. Then you said "Here! This is the diagram I used!" I thought that the diagram would allow me to do what I had requested but it looks like it does not. Well, pewp. I'll just whip myself up a reverse-polarity cable. No big deal.

Sorry 'bout that!

stevewire