News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smoothie issues

Started by sonarchotic, April 20, 2013, 12:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonarchotic

I have sound going through the circuit when it is switched on. It adds a little overall boost and bass. The trim pot effects the tone but the rate knob does nothing and there is no effect, just a slightly modified clean signal. I have continuity through the circuit so I ruled out solder bridges/shorts. I used 2n5952's that I matched with a test circuit and flipped them the opposite direction of the 2n5457's designated for the pcb. I got the 2n5952's from Tayda and they were labelled N channel RF Amplifier. The IC's I am using are labelled TL072CN. I am using a cheap trim pot but it should be the right value labelled 254. I have rechecked the values and the wiring many times with the same outcome. Oh yea, I used 1N4732 for the 4.7v zener diode.
values were taken with a low battery at about 7 V. I have since put in a fresh battery with the same results just higher voltages.
IC 1 P1-3.95  p2-3.95  p3-3.79  p4-0  p5-3.97  p6-3.95  p7-3.97  p8-7
IC 2 p1-3.96  p2-3.93  p3-3.93  p4-0  p5-2.1-4.4 oscillate p6-2.8-3.9 osc.  p7 -6.3 osc. p8-7
Q1 G-3.93 S-3.93 D-2.2 small oscillation
Q2 G-3.93 S-3.93 D-2.2 small oscillation               voltage diode 7v

jimilee

Are the pin outs supposed to be  reversed for those trannies?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sonarchotic

I flipped them the opposite direction that the 2n5457's would have gone since they have the opposite pinout if that's what you mean? Thanks!

jimilee

Quote from: sonarchotic on April 20, 2013, 12:37:48 AMI flipped them the opposite direction that the 2n5457's would have gone since they have the opposite pinout if that's what you mean? Thanks!
Stoopid spell check
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sonarchotic

jvg13

sonarchotic

I believe my 2n5952's were closely matched at 2.23 v.  Out of a batch of 50 most tested fairly close to this range. Thanks.

jvg13

sonarchotic

Well I tried a couple of different wiring configurations just to see and now I get no sound at all and can't remember how I had it wired to begin with. I'm worried I may have blown a jfet or ic chip. From bad to worse! If I get the wiring worked out I'll get back to the original problem. Thanks for the effort, I'll keep you posted!

sonarchotic

Well, got the wiring worked out now back to the original problem. Everything is grounded so not sure what the issue is but I sure am wishing I had used sockets now. Lesson learned!

aballen

I'm not really good with phasers, but I had some help debugging my smoothie.  It turned out I had a lug of the trimmer loaded down.  This thread might help you do some tracing/debugging.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=98967.0

sonarchotic

Quote from: aballen on April 21, 2013, 11:54:58 PM
I'm not really good with phasers, but I had some help debugging my smoothie.  It turned out I had a lug of the trimmer loaded down.  This thread might help you do some tracing/debugging.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=98967.0

Holy crap! Thanks! Someone in your link mentioned how the phase range on the trim pot, the range where you will actually get effect, is very small. So I slowly turned it instead of sweeping from one end to the other and the middle and a small band at about a quarter turn is where the effect was hiding. This ends two days of banging my head in frustration with this one. Thanks!!!

jimilee

Congratulations! Foe future reference, most phasers are like this. That's great news news, and I'm gonna build another one myself I think.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on April 22, 2013, 02:14:39 AM
Congratulations! Foe future reference, most phasers are like this. That's great news news, and I'm gonna build another one myself I think.

Haha! Back to the smoothie eh! It is the smoothest, most subtle phaser I have found. I can't see anything taking it off of my board...

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on April 22, 2013, 03:32:17 AM
Quote from: jimilee on April 22, 2013, 02:14:39 AM

Haha! Back to the smoothie eh! It is the smoothest, most subtle phaser I have found. I can't see anything taking it off of my board...
Yep,not so much for bass but for my guitar,it phases very well and slowly,even if you slow down th 90 it doesn't sound the same.