News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply Project

Started by aziltz, January 08, 2011, 05:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Someone have a PT handy who can measure? The Pedal Power specs state it's 3.4" wide and 1.75" tall. That 1590J is 3.75" and 1.77". I'm worried that the extra .35" means it's too wide.

If we can't find an enclosure I might make one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

cjkbug

I've got a meatball clone in a 1590d and that's quite a bit deeper that a vlpp+ it's about as tall and wide but it won't fit into a pedaltrain without some serious dremel abuse to the board. I held the box up to the pedaltrain and you will need to shear of the inside wall of the middle crossmember to give you a out 1/4" off clearance just to fit the box. you will also need room for the plugs to be inserted and removed possibly.

maybe a modified looper enclosure, like the ones at ppp would work.
http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=1200&Category_Code=ENC14

that would be pretty easy to knock an inch or so in vertical size off, and it would cover the side to side distance of a pedal board better. you could use shorter power leads.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

aziltz

Quote from: jubal81 on September 01, 2011, 11:10:15 PM
This kit from Weber looks pretty interesting:
http://taweber.powweb.com/store/modkits.htm#eps

yes, that's essentially 1 channel of what i'm putting together.

Quote from: cjkbug on September 02, 2011, 01:32:14 AM
I've got a meatball clone in a 1590d and that's quite a bit deeper that a vlpp+ it's about as tall and wide but it won't fit into a pedaltrain without some serious dremel abuse to the board. I held the box up to the pedaltrain and you will need to shear of the inside wall of the middle crossmember to give you a out 1/4" off clearance just to fit the box. you will also need room for the plugs to be inserted and removed possibly.

maybe a modified looper enclosure, like the ones at ppp would work.
http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=1200&Category_Code=ENC14

that would be pretty easy to knock an inch or so in vertical size off, and it would cover the side to side distance of a pedal board better. you could use shorter power leads.

this box is pretty close to the PP2 dimensions.  http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=1123&Category_Code=ENCH

BarryW

I'd definitely be interested in one of these . . . thanks!

jubal81

It doesn't have the taps that the Weber has, but I just found this for $4.95.
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18236
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

DuctTapeRiot

Yes yes yes!! I would take a bunch of these if it comes together.

aziltz

I just placed an order for other projects, so I'm gonna work on this next.

Here's a preview of what I'm working up so far.

jubal81

Looks great.
Just wondering if D1 is really necessary. I'm about to homebrew something like this and wasn't planning on using a diode there.
- David Fair

aziltz

D1 is suggested by the regulator configuration I'm basing this off of.  However, it could just be left out when built.

nzCdog

Quote from: aziltz on October 18, 2011, 02:19:10 AM
I just placed an order for other projects, so I'm gonna work on this next.

Here's a preview of what I'm working up so far.

Cool layout aziltz!

I'm working on my own power supply now, just designing the pcb but I'm new to eagle so its taking me a little time.
Basically I'm doing 4 isolated outputs using LM317Ts and based off The GGG ultra clean psu and Geofex Spyder.  I decided to used the 'adjustable regulator with improved ripple rejection' schematic from page 14 of this datasheet with an extra protection diode on a single sided pcb so I can etch it myself.  This particular datasheet by National Semiconductor actually makes quite good reading for the use of the LM317T.  

Once my PSU is up and running I can post it here if anyone's interested :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: nzCdog on November 03, 2011, 03:00:53 AM

Very interested!! Will it be possible to get 8 outputs from your design?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

aziltz

nzCdog,  Sounds like a cool project.  What transformer(s) are you using to isolate the outputs?

I'm planning to submit this project for fabrication on November 28th.  I should have them back by Jan. 1st.

I was thinking I might not go with all 8 on one board.  Perhaps 2 or 4 on separate boards that are initially connected but can be broken apart if needed.  Not sure if there is a great benefit to this or not.

nzCdog

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 03, 2011, 04:40:36 PM
Quote from: nzCdog on November 03, 2011, 03:00:53 AM

Very interested!! Will it be possible to get 8 outputs from your design?

Only 4 isolated... but you could easily use two of the boards to get 8 isolated outputs I guess...  I'll post it here when its done :)

Quote from: aziltz on November 03, 2011, 05:14:11 PM
nzCdog,  Sounds like a cool project.  What transformer(s) are you using to isolate the outputs?

I'm planning to submit this project for fabrication on November 28th.  I should have them back by Jan. 1st.

I was thinking I might not go with all 8 on one board.  Perhaps 2 or 4 on separate boards that are initially connected but can be broken apart if needed.  Not sure if there is a great benefit to this or not.
Thanks man.  Your idea of having each one able to be separated is very cool!

I bought this.  220V Primary and 4 secondaries, 2x12V and 2x18V.  I intend to have 2 isolated 9V supplies to daisy chain my normal pedals 1 x 12V for my Nova Delay and a 12.6V for my upcoming Boobtube project.  However they are all adjustable so I can change their voltages if I need to.  My goal is a very quiet power supply... it's going into a metal housing with EMI filtration and using an R-Core type iron which are supposed to be very quiet.  Prolly won't be very small, however.

Right now I'm trying to figure the best form factor for heatsinking the ICs  :-\