News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hole Through Pad Too Small

Started by tenwatt, May 02, 2013, 07:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

I recieved a double sided board from Music PCB and holes for a 2n4001 are too small to accept the leds.  Should I just drill it out?
Not too bright....

Hey dude!
I wouldnt drill it out in case its plated through. Solder it like you would a SMD and then snip the leads?

midwayfair

Use any silicon -- 1N914, 1N4148, etc. Edit: Actually, if it's from 9v to ground, just omit it. The diode to ground doesn't do anything as polarity protection anyway unless you're momentarily connecting a battery incorrectly. A power supply will just fry it and then cook the board. You can't re-drill it. You can also snip the diode lead at an angle and solder in the now-pointy bit.

The library it was created from (probably Gusmarkov's) has default drill sizes, which are too small for the giant leads on 1N400x diodes. This is a common problem with boards in the DIY community.

Madbean, JMK, and 1776, and most of the other folks around here releasing projects here use a modified library and you won't have that problem with many of them.

GermanCdn

If you're in need of a 1N4001 with thinner leads, I can drop one in the mail for you, I bought a bunch of imports and they all came in with smaller diameter leads.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

hoodoo

I haven't tried it myself, however i read elsewhere about a similar problem, and the advice given was to use your wire strippers on them to reduce the size of the leads, supposedly works. Worth a try, Matt.

madbean

You should be able to scrape some of the lead width off with an Xacto knife, too.

tenwatt

Quote from: midwayfair on May 02, 2013, 09:13:31 PMYou can also snip the diode lead at an angle and solder in the now-pointy bit.
Thanx for the suggestions guys.  I went with this and it worked well.
Not too bright....