News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stage Fright needs more bass?

Started by tol, May 12, 2013, 11:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tol

hi! I built the stage fright. I feel like it phases in the high frequencies way too much and needs more bass. The 5 stage mode sounds too subtle and bassy. It sounds like the youtube vid to me. I was thinking about trying the univibe mod but I wonder if that would do what i want?

tol

I boxed it up and socketed c12. It sounds a lot like madbean's youtube clip. I thought maybe his camera, mic, amp setup just lacked bass. There's another youtube clip of a dude in socks with a Stage Phaser which madbean's version is not a clone of. I want mine to sound fuller like his. I will read geofex's tech of phase shifters for now but would love some help.

stecykmi

try increasing the input cap, C1.

you could also try messing around with C10, although I wouldn't change it too much, perhaps try 2.2nf - 5nf? you can try a few different values, i _believe_ a larger value cap will extend the frequency range of the filtering/phasing. this is untested.

tol

thanks! I'll get some recording done and share.

alanp

Finished soldering up my SF board, I can attest that the 5/6 switch does, in some ways, act a lot like a Bass/Treble switch.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

Try increasing the phase stage caps (1nF) it'll sweep more in the bass range than treble then.

The Small Stone uses 6.8nF, could try that.

I don't know how well tuned you got the trimmer too, perhaps tweaking that might help.
Works at Lectric-FX

tol

so far so good. Increasing cap values is helping make a much tastier phase. More details soon.

tol

I ended up sticking with the EHX Stone values. .0068 C10 and C1 changes seemed to increase distortion. It sounds much better to me now. Not so trebly and anemic.

unb92

Quote from: tol on June 06, 2013, 11:05:10 AM
I ended up sticking with the EHX Stone values. .0068 C10 and C1 changes seemed to increase distortion. It sounds much better to me now. Not so trebly and anemic.

Can I ask? what caps did you replace for C1 and C10 to sound more like the one on the video with the dude in socks?

tol

hey! I messed around with C1 and C10 but it always seemed to distort so I replaced with stock values. Using the Small Stone values for the phase stages gave me a much better phase shifting.