News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My New Vice? (whisky)

Started by chromesphere, July 15, 2014, 01:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

The only good thing about summer is bourbon and cheap cola. When you aren't too damn busy with overtime to enjoy it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Beer? :D I've got a coopers beer kit and abbey blonde kit that im looking forward to attempting soon but that's a WHOLE nudda DIY topic ;)
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

the3secondrule

This is no doubt the wrong thread to be mentioning it, but Cheap whisky and coke is my weapon of choice on hot summer nights... Having said that, i've also got a bottle of cragganmore on the way that will be going nowhere near any kind of mixer
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jball85

Try the black label Jim Beam if you can get it. I've always favored bourbon over scotch. Scotch is better with food.

alanp

Red label JW is only good for giving to people you don't hugely like.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on December 18, 2014, 04:09:00 AM
Red label JW is only good for giving to people you don't hugely like.

I disagree. It has a fantastic use in making whiskey mustard.

alanp

Matakana Moonshine.

Bugger the Matakana wine.

Skynyrd played there. You know it's good!
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Frag Magnet

Quote from: alanp on December 17, 2014, 04:12:00 AM
The only good thing about summer is bourbon and cheap cola. When you aren't too damn busy with overtime to enjoy it.
I'm so tempted to report this post to moderation for 'alcohol abuse.'

Fuck.

Anyway, I'm a big bourbon drinker but I love to dabble in Scotch, especially Old Pultney.  Prefer the spicy bourbons over the sweet, Wild Turkey over anything high dollar, and all of it neat or on the rocks depending on my stomach and my mood.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

selfdestroyer

Cracked this open tonight. Much needed to relax from this week of work. Vendor for my work got it for me to say "Thanks for your business" I was happy to accept.

Cody

the3secondrule

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 20, 2014, 10:02:47 AM
Cracked this open tonight. Much needed to relax from this week of work. Vendor for my work got it for me to say "Thanks for your business" I was happy to accept.

Cody

had a couple of those last night myself. not bad eh?
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

chromesphere

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 20, 2014, 10:02:47 AM

Cody

Holy moly, nice gift Cody!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

A one minute search didn't turn up a better thread...

Do Americans always put insane amounts of ice with their spirits?

I mean, the first one he makes (with alcohol), no ice, but on the other hand, bugger all alcohol too.

But the second, third, and fourth alcoholic ones? A giant plank of ice per glass. By the time he's done, these don't have scotch highballs in them, they have a giant icecube each with some liquid around them. Holy moly.

Saw a couple other vids of his, and lots of ice seems to be a recurring theme.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on October 01, 2019, 11:34:43 AM

A one minute search didn't turn up a better thread...

Do Americans always put insane amounts of ice with their spirits?

I mean, the first one he makes (with alcohol), no ice, but on the other hand, bugger all alcohol too.

But the second, third, and fourth alcoholic ones? A giant plank of ice per glass. By the time he's done, these don't have scotch highballs in them, they have a giant icecube each with some liquid around them. Holy moly.

Saw a couple other vids of his, and lots of ice seems to be a recurring theme.

No, plenty of folks drink it neat.

For folks that like ice, the giant ice balls do melt slower.  When I want cold, I have a set of whiskey stones, which sounds more like the result of drinking too much whiskey than it does a means of cooling it off.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

somnif

I'll occasionally add 1 ice cube to my neat drinks, simply because "room temperature" for me is near 100F/38C most of the year. If I want something cool, I need thermodynamic assistance.

Even during the cool months though, I'll usually add a touch of water to my whisky/whiskey (less than a teaspoon full), just habit I suppose but it does seem to alter the flavors a bit.

Mixed cocktails though? Oh yeah, ice cubes for those. I like my margarita's on the rocks (as the water coming off the cubes really does seem to be part of the flavor experience).

lars

According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.