News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Open Discussion / Re: wish me luck
Last post by jessenator - Today at 06:56:09 PM
Quote from: Bio77 on May 14, 2024, 05:36:05 PMThat's super cool  8)   Sounds like fun.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not TED talk material by any means, but it was fun.

Quote from: lars on May 14, 2024, 09:55:00 PMSounds like it went well. On the next one, maybe incorporate some trouble-shooting skills, which is really the most valuable thing you learn with soldering. How to fix instrument cables, broken solder joints on jacks, bad stomp switches, etc. Stuff they will definitely see a benefit to knowing.
That could be cool and useful. I'll have to get their thoughts on soldering (lead, fumes, etc.)
Global Annoucements / Re: Forum issues
Last post by Aentons - Today at 04:54:52 PM
Yep, I still see that issue too. There are some others I've noticed as well.

I randomly switch to the brown theme for a post and then back to regular.

The unread posts page doesn't immediately clear once I've visited, it takes a little while.

Going to a post I've visited always takes me to the first post/page.

Edit: it took about 2 hours for this post to show up for me.
General Questions / Re: Soldering iron suggestions...
Last post by jessenator - Today at 01:57:03 PM
Quote from: greysun on Today at 12:45:39 PMThe FX-951 is a little more than I was hoping to spend (I don't build THAT many things needing solder in a given year), so I think I'm in the FX-888 camp.
oh wow, I didn't pay nearly that much... on top of inflation, I looked it up in my email and it seems I got it open-box, too.

Quote from: greysun on Today at 12:45:39 PMThe question becomes - what tip to get?
Thankfully the actual tip end shapes are the same, which is nice. My workhorse is the D12 (just a tad narrower than the D16 it comes with), but 0.4 mm isn't going to hurt. It's a good one.

For SMD work I have the BC1, which has a shallower angle of 45* vs the 60* of the CF1, which in theory means you can keep the handle a bit more vertical/closer to comfortable position.

Quote from: greysun on Today at 12:45:39 PMAnother question is one of FLUX - this is something I've never used, but this latest batch of goopy solder has me overthinking everything. Any tips in regard to using this?
Depending on who you ask, the answer to "how much flux do I need?" is simply "yes." I've learned a lesson of trying to rely on the flux core of a given solder, and I don't trust it. If done carefully (soldering TH components on the side of the board we don't show off in build reports :P ) using "enough" flux won't leave nasty, dark-amber rosin residue.

Here's a review I've found somewhat helpful, with nice SMD demonstration.

I've tried genuine Amtech stuff as well as counterfeit, and the counterfeit stuff sputters like mad—hate it. Amtech is just way too expensive, though the syringe is nice.

I've got a tub of something similar to the Weller brand he shows, but I'm going to use one with a lower concentration of rosin next time. As he mentions, it's a trade off between the consistency of the flux and trouble you go to to apply it. IME, in warmer weather paste flux is rather easy to apply with a cheap, narrow, hobby/model paintbrush.

As far as solder, I'm still getting by on an old spool of Kester 66/44  .020 for most things. Haven't had to look for a replacement yet, thankfully.

Anyhow, hope that's helpful.
Last post by greysun - Today at 12:45:39 PM
Quote from: jimilee on Today at 01:04:28 AMI started out the same way, with a no name iron / station I paid 14 for from BYOC. Used it for 10 years. The Hakko FX-888D is a popular iron used by a lot of builders, my self included. It affordable and tips are abundant.

BYOC!!! that's where I got it... It's served me well, but I like the notion of something that at least has a brand on it, hehe. The latest version of the FX-888D is the FX-888DX - it comes in 3 colors!

Quote from: jessenator on Today at 05:07:01 AMSeveral types to choose from. I chose the T-15 tip type: FX-951 as it's super easy to change hot tips, but they're much more expensive. Need to get a new workhorse tip, actually, but it's had several years good work.

The FX-951 is a little more than I was hoping to spend (I don't build THAT many things needing solder in a given year), so I think I'm in the FX-888 camp.

The question becomes - what tip to get? it comes with the T18-D16 (a chisel-style tip), but I'm soldering up some NeoPixel LEDs that have some VERY tight pads. Thinking maybe the T18-I, T18-BL or the T18-CF1 (not sure what the advantage is of a bevel tip, but could do a little research).

Another question is one of FLUX - this is something I've never used, but this latest batch of goopy solder has me overthinking everything. Any tips in regard to using this? Pretty sure I'd only need for the LEDs, but hoping I can salvage what I've got (or at the very least, never buy solder from microcenter again - who knew the giant RadioShack solder spool I got years ago would be superior to... well, anything! hehe).

REALLY appreciate the help and advice - let me know what you all think!
Last post by jessenator - Today at 05:07:01 AM
IME, totally agree with Jimmy

Hakko is expensive (there are two German makes that go even higher...), but it's a worthy investment.

Several types to choose from. I chose the T-15 tip type: FX-951 as it's super easy to change hot tips, but they're much more expensive. Need to get a new workhorse tip, actually, but it's had several years good work.

I tried the KSGR or whatever clone, and it lasted less than a week, with yhe suggested action from yhe seller being "here's a repair solution"—which required a soldering iron...

Others have had better luck, but it's a gamble/wasted time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Global Annoucements / Re: Forum issues
Last post by lars - Today at 01:37:04 AM
Still having login issues. The forum doesn't seem to be passing login information when you actually click on specific posts. I'll be logged in on the main forum page, but then click on a specific post in "open discussion", and then I'm logged out.
Last post by jimilee - Today at 01:04:28 AM
I started out the same way, with a no name iron / station I paid 14 for from BYOC. Used it for 10 years. The Hakko FX-888D is a popular iron used by a lot of builders, my self included. It affordable and tips are abundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General Questions / Soldering iron suggestions? Ti...
Last post by greysun - Today at 12:46:00 AM
Hey everyone! Glad to see the forum back in order.

in a deep, echo-y voice: "THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO..." (or roughly 12 years ago) I bought a soldering starter kit from Small Bear (I think). It had a cheap, but viable/usable soldering iron, a few tools for clipping leads and everything needed to start pedal building. And I used it to build a lot of pedals, and I use it to this day.

HOWEVER - I went to find a new tip, and nothing I buy fits. No brand name or specs came with it, and nothing on the iron itself. These days, the tip loosens/unscrews itself often, the cord from the base to the iron has seen better days, and I don't know if it's my latest spool of solder or what but it doesn't melt as quickly anymore and I'm not convinced it's getting good connections. (I run it at the same temp I always have - 375 to 400, and got the same solder I always get - 60/40 rosin core)

I see folks online with way nicer setups than mine, and I'm working on a project that has some VERY fine soldering needs. I'm wondering if the time for upgrade has finally come...

Anyone have any advice for a soldering iron/station that won't totally break the bank, but is perhaps enough of a step up from beginner to make it worth the while?

Let me know your thoughts! As always, thank you in advance!

Open Discussion / Re: The transition.
Last post by gordo - Today at 12:10:48 AM
Hoping to spend any and all vacation time there Jon, so we gotta make that happen!
Open Discussion / Re: wish me luck
Last post by lars - May 14, 2024, 09:55:00 PM
Sounds like it went well. On the next one, maybe incorporate some trouble-shooting skills, which is really the most valuable thing you learn with soldering. How to fix instrument cables, broken solder joints on jacks, bad stomp switches, etc. Stuff they will definitely see a benefit to knowing.