News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good or Unpopular album opinions

Started by flanagan0718, May 11, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I don't mind early  U2 stuff, the Edge is a pretty cool, kinda unique player. Anything prior to Zoo or whatever it was called is alright, but just alright.

Couple other albums to throw out here
Urge Overkill - Exit the Dragon (great and underated)
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin (just great.)
Spoon - Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga and Kill the Moonlight
And if I can take the liberty of straying from a particular band, The Nuggets box sets are both excellent collections of music.

The bad
Stuff Like Chicago, Boston, Journey, Styx none of that stuff does it for me. I just think of it as corporate rock.
I couldn't get into that wave of pop punk stuff that included Blink 182 and all of those bands.
And I'm old now so this is pretty much me these days

raulduke

5 that I love start to finish:

Radiohead - In Rainbows (my favourite of theirs... beats OK computer and Kid A for me).
The National - High Violet (great songs start to finish and really good production/arrangments).
Daedelus - Denies the Days Demise (like a mix of samba, hip hop, bossa nova and rave music. I love this album).
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly (not a massive hip hop fan but this blew me away).
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush (cos...Neil Young).

5 that I listened to all the way through and thought were shite:

RHCP - Stadium Arcadium. A double album helping of cack.
Kasabian - Kasabian (was recommended this and I hated it).
Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Star Whateverthef***itwascalled (NuMetal was all the rage when I was in 6th form and my best mate would have this on in his car constantly).
Cream - Disraeli Gears (I could include anything by Clapton here).
Oasis - Be Here Now (so so disappointing... they should have just left it after WTSMG).

davent

Just too too much to list so for no other reason then no one's mentioned them and i'm overwhelmed by the options and my mood and choices shift/change/spin on dime...

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Bad of artists i like...
Huge Patti Smith fan, pretty sure i've everything but her album of covers. She does covers all the time and makes the song her own, the one made up of all covers was for me straight karaoke, too bad.
Again i probably have more Richard Thompson albums then any other artist and a few years ago he did an album produced by Jeff Tweedy again another favourite. Not long before they did this i saw Thompson sitting in with Wilco, how could this not be great? For me total dud, flat lifeless performance, so disappointing. I did buy the deluxe package that included a short second cd produced by Thompson and it was all there, it was like all the energy exploded as an outlet from the constrained Tweedy cd.
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On
Daniel Lanois - Shine

dave

edit, edit,edit...
Just to clear up a mess from above, Richard Thompson sitting in with Wilco was a treat! Richard Thompson's cd produced by Jeff Tweedy was the huge dud for me.

English is not my best language, unfortunately it's my only one.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on May 12, 2017, 05:24:51 PM

Again i probably have more Richard Thompson albums then any other artist and a few years ago he did an album produced by Jeff Tweedy again another favourite. Not long before they did this i saw Thompson sitting in with Wilco, how could this not be great? For me total dud, flat lifeless performance, so disappointing. I did buy the deluxe package that included a short second cd produced by Thompson and it was all there, it was like all the energy exploded as an outlet from the constrained Tweedy cd.

Interesting, I've thought of delving into Richard Thompson. He did a great interview a few months back on Marc Maron's WTF podcast.

One of my favorite bands did a cover of Calvary Cross and I always thought it was a great song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3UIDBfoeqw

When I get a chance I'll have to cue up a few tunes.

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 12, 2017, 07:24:05 PM
Quote from: davent on May 12, 2017, 05:24:51 PM

Interesting, I've thought of delving into Richard Thompson. He did a great interview a few months back on Marc Maron's WTF podcast.

One of my favorite bands did a cover of Calvary Cross and I always thought it was a great song:

I should be clear which i wasn't, Thompson sitting in with Wilco was great! The cd Richard Thompson did that was produced by Jeff Tweedy was the huge disappointment. Sorry for the confusion! Thompson is one of those players that will leave you slack jawed whether he's playing acoustic or electric. Very funny guy as well.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

flanagan0718

Quote from: midwayfair on May 12, 2017, 03:24:40 PM
I ran an online folk music magazine for a while.

Lemme tell you, you folks have NO IDEA what a bad album is.

hehehe i bet!

playpunk

Quote from: dan.schumaker on May 12, 2017, 02:04:32 AM
Anything Modern "Country" (its basically Nickelback with a banjo)

I call it Nugrass (with an effing umlat over the u)
"my legend grows" - playpunk

alanp

Quote from: shedland on May 12, 2017, 07:48:24 AM
The not so good

The Feelers

The first Feelers album was good (Pull The Strings is a great track), but they had the same problem that 3 Doors Down did.

First album, decent enough rock-pop.

Second album, it's all soppy dribble designed to sell to as broad a demographic as possible, and it's all downhill from here on out.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jalmonsalmon

Lots of good stuff and a whole lot more CRAP...

in no particular order
the good:
Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies (enough said)
Jeff Beck Blow by Blow ( 8) )
Frank Zappa Over Night Sensation ( Plus at least another dozen or so CDs from the FZ catalogue)
The Who Live at Leeds ( nothing like a late 60s SG special  into a superfuzz pushing a HiWatt)
Umphrey's McGee Greatest Hits Vol. III (Had to toss a band to my "the good"  that did not play in the 70s)  ;)

The Bad... (maybe we should add the Ugly too!)
Peter Frampton - I'm in You
Soundtrack to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Movie
The Black Eyed Peas — The E.N.D (oh hell no)
Green Day — American Idiot
Phil Collins — No Jacket Required

too many other bads to list LOL

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

mjg

OK, here's my lists. 

Good, in alphabetical order by artist, and not sticking to the limit of 5, whoops:

Fur and Gold - Bat for Lashes
No need to argue - The Cranberries
Wake - Dead Can Dance.  OK, so it's a 'best of' album, is that cheating?
The Mission soundtrack - Ennio Morriconi
Mezzanine - Massive Attack
Graceland - Paul Simon
Automatic for the people - R.E.M.
OK Computer - Radiohead
Lust Lust Lust - The Raveonettes 
Pretty much anything from Smashing Pumpkins.  They can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. 
Under the Pink or Little Earthquakes - Tori Amos.  Can't decide between those two. 

Bad:

Anything by ABBA.  Just terrible. 

Jomsviking by Amon Amarth.  These are a bunch of guys who take their Viking cosplay a bit too seriously.  It's just crying out for parody. 

Most of Queen's stuff. 

Graveyard Classics III - Six Feet Under.  This is one my kid purchased, which seems to consist of a guy grunting, and another guy making goat noises.  Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't get it. 

Peter Garrett's solo album.   I love(d) Midnight Oil, but then the lead singer takes 10 years off to be a politician, and comes back with a solo album which I really didn't like.   :'(

Elephant by White Stripes.  Seven Nation Army was so good, hated the rest of the album.  How dare they not conform to my tastes.    ;)

That U2 album that appeared in my iTunes without me asking.   ;D

And finally - for anyone who's been a parent in Australia (and possibly other places) in the last 10 years...
any album by The Wiggles. 

Stomptown

Lots of great (and crappy) stuff here guys.  I might as well join in the fun too so here it goes:

The Good
Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers - The definition of Rock and Roll in my book
Queens of the Stone Age (self titled) - this one hasn't been mentioned yet and is also worth a listen
The Eagles: Desperado - I didn't really like the Eagles until I gave this one a listen. It has a couple of the big hits but the magic happens in between
Dire Straights (self titled) - I really wish I could play like Mark Knopfler
Fugazi: 13 Songs - I love all of their albums but this one brings the most memories from my younger days
Whiskeytown: Strangers Almanac - My favorite alt country album of all time
Rage Against the Machine (self titled) - I can vividly remember screaming along with Zack D on my way to school "f-u I won't do whatcha tell me!..."
Ryan Adams: Orion - Ryan Adams decides to make a metal album. It's about an intergalactic space war or something. Enough said...
Temple of the Dog (self titled) - The best album of the grunge era IMO.  I'm still bummed I couldn't get a hold of a ticket for the "reunion" tour last year.

The Bad:
John Frusciante: Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt - this guys solo material is unbearably bad and this one is no exception
Blues Traveler: Four - I can only prey I never hear "runaroud" again in my lifetime
Def Leppard: Adrenalize - Do you wanna get rocked? No thanks...
The Doors - pretty much falls into the U2 / Kiss category of suckage for me.
Guns n Roses: The Spaghetti Incident?  - I can only hope the story behind the album name is better than the material on this record
Poison: Open up and say ahh! - I can't believe I listened to this crap.
Warrant: Cherry Pie - I NEVER listed to this crap!
Kings of Leon: Aha Shake Heartbreak - How did they make it big with this material?
Smash Mouth - All of it makes me cringe.  His voice just gets under my skin for some reason.

reddesert

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 12, 2017, 07:24:05 PM

Speaking of covers of Calvary Cross, this one by Peter Laughner:

brucer

Nothing definitive here.  Just the ones that came to mind.

Great:
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Terrible:
The Police - Synchronicity ($#@!*&^ Sting takes over the band.)
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols (Can't abide Johnny Rotten.  Just can't.)
Lou Reed and Metallica - Lulu (WTF?)
Guns n' Roses - Chinese Democracy (shouldn't it be on everyone's list)
... having trouble coming up with a 5th stinker ... 'cause it's late

zombie_rock123

Not my desert island list but stuff I've been listening to lately,
Good:
Left Lane Cruiser - All You Can Eat
Dax Riggs - We Sing of Only Blood or Love
Clutch - Psychic Warfare
The Devil and The Almighty Blues - II
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden.

Bad:
Green Day - American Idiot. And anything else after that if they've released anything.
Foo Fighters - Anything after One by One. Not sure how the Wheels came off so fast. See what I did there...
Shinedown - Supported Maiden when I caught them recently. Urgh.
Trivium - Supported Maiden last time I saw them. I like some really crappy metal but I feel like Randy from South Park listening to this band.
Tool - This album that leaked recently. It just wasn't worth the wait and it's a bit too.. progressive.

;D
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

tcpoint

Good - tomorrow's list would probably be different

UFO - Strangers in the Night
Dream Theater - Images and Word
Steven Wilson - hand.cannot.erase
Marillion - Clutching at Straw
The Who - Who's Next
Led Zeppelin - depends on the day
Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues