News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Made some batter for the first time last night, and tried a couple things.

Battered deepfried mushrooms, 10/10. Would try again, absolutely delicious. I tried quartering and slicing them, and honestly, it's easiest to just quarter them.

Battered deepfried bacon, 0/10. Do not try. It was so greasy I was sick later on.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

etbandung

bruh all the food pictures you guys post makes me Hungy! and i've Eaten by the way ;D
English Today Pelatih Bahasa Inggris Terpercaya, kami memiliki beberapa cabang Kursus Bahasa Inggris Di Bandung , Jakarta , Medan , Bali. Dengan Program pilihan yang sesuai dengan kebutuhan anda.

davent

Catch up... lamb shoulder marinated in yogurt with aleppo pepper, garlic, shallot, lemon juice and olive oil, marinate scraped off and sprinkled with chipotle pepper. Skewered and grilled on lump charcoal, grilled naan bread, pickled red onion, garden arugula, topped feta, Sriracha and the neighbourhood shawarma shop's garlic sauce.

Another crack at grilled Hasselback potatoes with chive/garlic butter, the necessary crunchy local asparagus, grilled bourbon brined pork chops.

Friday already, start all over again...
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Round up.

Best we've found for doing pizza is a two step process. With pizza stones on the grill can get to over 600F which gives a nice crust jump and good colouring of the the under crust, leaves tops anemic so after four minutes on the stones, quarter turn each minute, they get cheese and go under the broiler until coloured to taste. Can do two at a time under the broiler.

Both started with just tomato sauce to go on the grill then fior di latte under the broiler, #1 just gets fresh basil after the broiler, a Margeritta, the second gets proscuitto, arugula and chili honey.

Buttermilk/tarragon brined rotisserie chicken with stir fried pak choi, sugar snaps, red peppers and asparagus, basmati rice. Takes half a carton of buttermilk to do a chicken so to use up the other half, panna cotta, that needs half a carton of heavy cream, complete the circle with butter chicken which uses up the heavy cream and leftover buttermilk chicken. Honey, ginger roasted rhubarb to top the panna cotta.

For the most local asparagus gets very lightly steamed, heated enough to melt butter then butter salt and pepper. My wife made asparagus soup the other day, so good i even ate the leftovers. Asparagus, small yellow potato, small Vidalia onion, fresh tarragon and chicken stock. Topped with the uncooked tips, chives and Aleppo pepper. Dubliner cheddar melted on sourdough side.

Tonight, grilled rib eye glazed with a Maggi/butter mix, stir fried shiitakes, asparagus and fresh ginger.  Sauce of chicken stock, vermouth, soy sauce, Sambel Oelek and minced garlic, thickener. Basmati rice. Grilled the steak, while it rested rice cooked in 8 minutes and stir fry done, all comes together in a hurry, six minutes on the grill for the steak.

Garden is doing great, salad on the side...

Ciao, dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quick dinner;  two eggs, prosciutto cotto, parmesan, butter, mushroom sauce,  crunchy asparagus and chives. Over the past couple years i've really grown to enjoy omelettes, quick, easy & highly variable.

Take care,dave

davent

Grilled & smoked Cholula/butter chicken wings, nachos... Cholula had some help from some Carolina Reaper hot sauce.

Apple wood smoked pork ribs, tarragon/lemon smashed, roasted potatoes and crunchy local asparagus, that season is drawing to a close. Ribs were simply salt & peppered then smoked for three or so hours, finished with a heavy brushing of herb butter.

Garden basil and garlic for pesto dinner, quick, quick, quick no cook dinner. Arbol chilie flakes to finish.

Guardian of the basil...

dave

davent

I'm a fan of soup any time of year. This one's a Moroccan informed lentil/chickpea soup my wife made on the weekend. Both red and green lentils, canned chickpeas, jar of tomatoes for the body of the soup, mix of Moroccan spices, lemon juice to flavour, cilantro, cayenne pepper and crispy chickpeas to top, naan bread for sopping. Quick and loaded with flavours.

Have a good week.dave

midwayfair

Picked a good pound and a half of raspberries on my run yesterday. Took a plastic bag with me and stopped at a few different spots along my usual route. Yum!

Made a raspberry sour with some tonight, and Lexa and I have been snacking on them. (She was surprised to find that she does like raspberries when they actually taste like berries.) Planning on making some little tarts with about half of them.

We've also managed to actually pick some blueberries from our bushes this year!

davent

Local asparagus, last hurrah bring on the corn. Asparagus in vermouth/cream sauce over rotini.

Pesto reprise, only twelve Genovese basil plants in the garden and this year they are doing great. Genovese & cinnamon basil, garlic grown in the yard, fresh ravioli imported from Italy available at the drug store around the corner, fast food.

Take care.dave

davent

Farmer at my neighbourhood market had corn for our first cobs of the year. Grilled steak salad - grilled red onions, arugula and lettuce from the garden and our first ripe tomatoes of the year from the garden. Shropshire blue cheese, balsamic dressing flaked salt for the salad, butter and chili salt for the corn. Another very quick one to put together.

Cheers.dave

davent

More progress on the pizza front. A flatbread and two pizzas, all 12" but the flatbread dough was half the weight of a pizza's and flattened with a rolling rather than hand formed like the pizza. Flatbread was pesto this time made with pine nuts and topped with ripped chunks of burrata after broiling. Pizza #1 Marinara with anchovies table top forthose that needed them. Pizza #2, the other half jar of tomato sauce, pepperoncini, cacciatore sausage and Auricchio cheese.

First grilled four minutes on pizza stones quarter turn each minute, finished under the oven broiler.

Take care.dave

etbandung

English Today Pelatih Bahasa Inggris Terpercaya, kami memiliki beberapa cabang Kursus Bahasa Inggris Di Bandung , Jakarta , Medan , Bali. Dengan Program pilihan yang sesuai dengan kebutuhan anda.

alanp

Tea tonight was pretty good. Onion, mince, salt, pepper, mushroom sauce (the recipe from Townsends), tabasco, tomato puree, and a tin of chilli kidney beans. It's amazing what you can cook up from just stuff lying around the pantry, and how good it can taste.

No photo, it all got eaten pretty quick by everyone.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

davent

Rainy afternoon, soaked once already so inside for a while, since last time...

Grilled chicken ramen, homemade stock, home grown pak choi, shiitakes, loads of Sambel Oelek.

Orecchiette pasta with garden pesto, buratta cheese and garden tomatoes.

Another go at naked smoked ribs, this time with hickory, all else the same even the ribs were cut from batch as the last go. Only salt and pepper for the meat before smoking then slathered in herb butter to finish, these are so good. My wifes potato salad and local corn heated through.

First burger worthy tomato from the garden, a very flat, pancaked Lucid Gem. Difficult to find decent buns of any size so we usually take a couple chunks from a baguette, this one a sourdough from the farmer's market, 100 gram beef patties, Shropshire cheese, house made dills, red onion, sweet relish, mustard, Hellman's, garden lettuce...

Take care.dave

alanp

Venison steak is nice. Especially wild venison. Some salt and pepper while frying and you're in heaven. Fry some eggs in the pan afterwards to soak up all that greasy flavour.

Although I think that Americans would murder me if they saw me cooking it. The way that my Dad taught me, you cut a slot in the steak to see if the middle is done or not. Raw meat means NOT COOKED means food poisoning.

Eggs are the same way. Soft means not cooked.
- Terry Pratchett
My website