News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Baconburgers!

I picked up a Westmark No. 10 hand mincer (through the internet... the shops in town told me to try secondhand shops), and put a bag of bacon bits through it. (Not finely diced bacon, these are bags of offcuts they shrinkwrap and sell cheap.) I also put a chopped up onion through it at the same time (a handful of bacon offcuts, a handful of onion, a handful of bacon offcuts, a handful of onion...) with a couple slices of bread at the end to try and wipe it through a bit. Unsuccessfully.

Lesson number 1: do the plate on the front up as tight as you can. I had to pull the mincer apart halfway through and reassemble it... properly, this time. At first, the blade wasn't cutting anything due to being several millimetres away from the plate.

Lesson number 2: minced bacon is really sloppy and sludgy (probably due to the fat content.) I added a lot of breadcrumbs and some egg, but the finished patties fall apart really easily.

Lesson number 3: bacon is a bugger to clean out of the mincer, due to all the stringy bits that wind around things.

Overall... not bad once they're in a bun, but I don't think I'll make them again.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jessenator

A beef Wellington I did just before the holidays (2021)

Sous vide and a rest before...

A sear in clarified butter

Mustard mustard mustard

Reduced pan goodies for a pepper gravy

Rolled up in prosciutto (no duxelle here...no mushroom fans in the house)

I ended up with extra puff pastry, so, attempts at better looking stuff?

Yeah... I think I was going for some leaf-like motif, and ended up like an eggplant.

But it turned out juicy

Yum

Today I'll be doing a pork tenderloin variation, and some baked macaroni and cheese, recipes courtesy of Alton Brown.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

jessenator

Quote from: midwayfair on April 25, 2022, 09:51:10 PM
Wow! Nicely executed.
oh, I didn't see this, but thank you!

I had a curing flat of brisket in for the last couple of weeks. Finally smoked and boiled it (at least that's what Katz's does...). I need to extend the post-cure desalinization period, but other than that, turned out yummy

Gavra Meads

Today I had for dinner my favorite taco pasta made with pasta shells, ground beef, cheese, and a handful of spices. I replaced the tomato sauce with ketchup or chili puree mixed with honey and water. Beets and carrots cooked properly have a similar taste and texture as tomato sauce, though the color turned out completely different. Anyway, this recipe will definitely impress even the most proficient chefs.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

jimilee

matmosphere

I have been on a mad cookie making spree. It started about three weeks back and every time the jar is empty my wife and kids talk about the "cookie desert" and I end up making more.

Sugar cookies, gingerbread, chocolate-oatmeal, and a couple others that I can't think of.

If the trend continues I'll start posting pics. The gingerbread ran out yesterday.

jimilee

Nice. I like making chocolate chip, and chocolate oatmeal cookies. Occasionally, I want cake, so I'll make a bundt cake, usually chocolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk