News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Last night's chicken smoked with cherry wood and rosemary stalks, potato/celeriac/cabbage colcannon, edamame/corn succotash.

Daughter's been social distancing about 5 hours from here since early April. She found out Wednesday our neighbourhood poke restaurant was doing a pop-up Saturday, ordered our takeout for tonight and arrived home Friday.  Food counts...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Tonight grilled/smoked pork ribs, six hours for total cook time. Basic dry rub, bit of hickory and cherry for smoke. Still getting local asparagus, has been a good mix of very hot and cool weather with the occasional rain so hopefully conducive to lots more asparagus. All veg home delivered from a local farm as well as locally raised and processed pork from the farmer's market. 

Take care!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

The garlic is coming up in the garden, now.

If you ever want to wind up tasting nothing but garlic for the entire night, sample a little bit of garlic leaf.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on June 18, 2020, 09:55:46 PM
The garlic is coming up in the garden, now.

If you ever want to wind up tasting nothing but garlic for the entire night, sample a little bit of garlic leaf.

Can't beat just grown garlic! Ours will be ready to harvest in a month.
dave

davent

The week in pictures... our daughter volunteered to cook us a few meals, i think that's was how she was earning her keep the last 10 weeks.

Tuesday  to top basil tomato tortillas she took our leftover smoked chicken combined it and cooked with onions, sweet peppers, jackfruit and various spices.. Made salsa fresca and gaucamole to top, greek yogurt, feta cheese and cilantro to complete the picture.

Thursday she enrolled her boyfriend and they scratch made gnocchi with two sauces, brown butter garden sage and a simple tomato basil sauce with a jar of our tomato sauce and basil from out back. I've never had gnocchi before but looking forward to the next time they appear on my plate, little pillows of goodness. Wasn't allowed in the kitchen to take pictures during the process.

She disappeared again after the meal so up to her lame parents tonight. Becoming a habit after a couple years of abstinence, hamburger on the charcoal grill. Everything from the market but the pickles which my wife made with ingredients from well, the market. Mustard and relish always in the fridge. And Shropshire blue cheese is killer with everything we've ever tried it on/with. First had it in a restaurant as part of a dish of port poached pears, amazing!

Stay well, it's still cooking!
dave

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Neighbourhood seller of Japanese knives according to his recent videos is prepping to take a crack at the Guinness record for onions sliced in a minute, can't be sure how serious he is but he is pretty handy with a sharp knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1QcUFBl3c&t=1s
dave

davent

Weekend wrap, Friday lamb kebabs, marinated 24 hours in yogurt, tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic, chilli flakes, sprinkled with Aleppo pepper - onion/parsley/balsamic relish and spelt tortilla. Garden rhubarb with the last of summer-19 freezer berries for a pie.

Saturday, Steelhead trout wrapped in prosciutto, beluga lentils with shaved asparagus, parsley, garden basil & arugula, thinned yogurt.

Sunday, pork ribs with a five spice powder rub, smoked with hickory and cherry woods for a couple hours, wrapped in foil with more of the rub, butter and cider vinegar, another hour on the grill, unwrapped smeared with a Hoisin based bbq sauce then back on the grill for 30-40 minutes. Al dente local asparagus, baby potato  salad.

Take care!
dave

matmosphere

This thread continues to make me wish I could just post photos from my phone on here.

bamslam69

In case anyone hasn't seen this guy yet, here's some self-isolation cooking lessons. Funny AF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KthvXIFhcc

CodeMonk

This one interested me. And yup, funny AF

I want to see him do a marinara sauce.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

bamslam69

My wife made his spag bol recipe. Damn it was worth it. Spag bol is a pretty hard dish to kill, but this was next level.

Gonna do his 5hr slow roasted lamb this weekend... maybe.
Anyway, they're entertaining little cooking vids.

davent

Working the leftovers Thursday, smoked hoisin pork rib tacos with slaw flavoured with rice vinegar & toasted sesame seed oil, crushed peanuts, fine radish, cucumber and lime.

This may be the summer of the burger, none last year quickly making up for that.

One hundred fifty gram grilled beef patty charcoal grilled,, toasted sprouted seed bun, house dills, Shropshire blue cheese which is killer, low brow Cheeze Whiz, red onion, tomato, sweet relish, ballpark mustard, backyard lettuce... can't wait for backyard tomatoes, maybe tomorrow...

Road trip today, five brands of Bomba rice in stock, haven't been able to get to the store since January.

Paellas to be...
Take care!
dave

davent

Wanted leftover chicken to use for butter chicken this week so did a rotisserie lemon/tarragon/garlic/butter chicken on the bbq. Butter mix under the skin and the cavity stuffed with quartered lemon, crushed garlic cloves and sprigs of tarragon. Enough for four plates in the first incarnation, a couple bowls of stir fries on another night and a butter chicken dinner, carcass into the freezer for making stock, goes a long ways.

Tarragon has come up faithfully in the backyard for years and still using bulbs of garlic we harvested from our garden  July 2019, a couple more weeks until this year's harvest.

Sadly, binging on local asparagus drawing to a close, until next year...

Take care
dave

dan.schumaker

About a month ago, I picked up an electric smoker and have been having some adventures in playing around with it.

So far, I've done some chicken wings, whole chicken, ribs and a pork shoulder, all awesome.  Still on the docket one of these days is a whole turkey and a beef brisket  :D

Here is what I smoked up this last weekend.  A few weeks ago at Costco, I saw they had whole pork bellies, and I wanted to try my own bacon  :D  After 10 days in the salt cure, I smoked it for 7 hours over some hickory and pecan wood, and sliced it up.  Really good flavor on this, it might be hard to go back to store bought bacon after this  :)