News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

>=!?#$#! Cheap a$$ tayda jacks! Argh! (now with added gripes!)

Started by ch1naski, July 17, 2013, 10:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

Spent 3 hours trying to stuff a board into a 125b  that's normally fitted into a 1590bb, struggling with wiring (I suck at wiring), and after routing everything over/under/through/around........the cheap plastic jack I got from tayda stripped out at the threads.

Stopped myself from throwing the pedal across the room, and decided to vent here, instead.

$#%$#$%&*.

That is all.

Wait, that's NOT all....

Got that crappy jack out, soldered in a good one, got everything done......

Bad pot. audio goes in and out when the pot shaft is jiggled. dammit.

but wait....wait......

bad footswitch. just took it out of the tayda bag, untouched until now. all soldered in. audio goes in and out with every stomp or jiggle.

no, cant be. my luck cant be that bad.... check the wires, solder joints...rule everything out.

yup, bad switch.

DAMMIT.

with the new job, i have so little precious time for things, and  i feel robbed of my time, even more than the money for the crap components.

and there aint no refund for time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

kothoma

ch1naski

Quote from: kothoma on July 17, 2013, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: ch1naski on July 17, 2013, 10:13:57 PMthe cheap plastic jack

Which one?
the one that has the insert..... This http://www.taydaelectronics.com/6-35mm-1-4-stereo-insulated-switched-socket-jack-pcb.html

I should know better. Plastic threads are ALWAYS bad news.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

GermanCdn

Hate to say it, but i had the same problem, and you have to use more spacers than provided to get a decent fit with those.  The original pcb jacks from Tayda are still one of my faves,  but the other ones they have brought in recently are junk.  The steel threaded external ones are also junk, the nuts are poor fitting.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

BraindeadAudio

Neutrik/switchcraft from 4site. never buy jacks or switches from tayda, only ICs transistors, diodes resistors and Caps.

kothoma

Quote from: ch1naski on July 17, 2013, 10:37:26 PM
Quote from: kothoma on July 17, 2013, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: ch1naski on July 17, 2013, 10:13:57 PM
the cheap plastic jack

Which one?
the one that has the insert..... This http://www.taydaelectronics.com/6-35mm-1-4-stereo-insulated-switched-socket-jack-pcb.html

OK, thanks. Need to make a note on my mental blacklist...
I think I had some of these in my last order that hasn't arrived yet. Ah, well.

BuGG

I've had no trouble with the standard metal jacks, pots, or 3PDT switches from Tayda.
However, I did learn the hard way that you can't use the nut from the stereo jack on the mono jack....

The 9V battery connectors on the other hand, I'll never buy another one of those.

Oh and the SPDT toggle switches, you better get it right the first time, those things don't take heat very well.
Stupid switch, oh well, it looks nice.   

pickdropper

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on July 17, 2013, 10:50:13 PM
Neutrik/switchcraft from 4site. never buy jacks or switches from tayda, only ICs transistors, diodes resistors and Caps.

Agreed.  Although I don't do a lot of their caps, either.  Their LEDs are fine, though.

I added knobs to that list.  I just got some of the Marshall style knobs and the quality is poor.  I didn't expect much, but I did expect them all to be the same color.  ::)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

ch1naski

I've got about ten Davies style knobs that have stripped threads on the set screw holes, right out of the bag. Comes out to about every one in five that i ordered is useless.
one louder.

gingataff

I'm mostly bummed by the sanded/laser etched j201s and jrc4558s I got a while back.
The j201s I got recently look better but still measure quite differently to the genuine fairchilds I have.

G.G.

I used to get these from Tayda:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/6-35mm-1-4-plugs-jacks/6-35mm-1-4-mono-chassis-socket-jack.html

But cables seem to fit sort of loosely in them, and I've had problems with the nuts not fitting right and misthreading. I started getting a bag of Neutriks from Lawrence over at Bitches'

http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/~/product/category=5027593&id=18726663

they're only 10 cents more and much higher quality. So far his 3PDTs have been fine too.

BuGG

Another thing worth noting with Tayda...

I submitted a customer review about the 9V battery connectors about two months ago, not completely bashing them, just advising that they may not be the best in applications where the battery might be changed frequently...

My review never appeared....

GermanCdn

Wow, that's a terrible string of luck.  Like I said before (and I didn't intend for it to be a bash on Tayda, it's just some stuff is in fact crap), there's only one jack I'll use from them.

I haven't had any issues with their 9V jacks, and I've used both the internal and external mount, the only problem is they clearly order from different suppliers, and the nut for one doesn't fit the nut for the other.

As far as the SPDTs, yeah, you can't desolder them, but if you get them right, they work fine.  I got a much, much worse order of switches from Banzai once.

I don't buy their 3PDTs, just because I can get better volume prices elsewhere.  That being said, they're all probably made in the same factory anyway, so if there's a bad lot, everyone's going to have them.

Never had a bad pot from them.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

BuGG

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 19, 2013, 08:51:26 AMI haven't had any issues with their 9V jacks

I've had no problems with the 9V jacks, I was referring to the battery snaps.

GermanCdn