News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New test box

Started by wstimson, August 13, 2013, 09:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wstimson

Finally got around to making a test box out of an enclosure I f--ked up the drilling on and a set of speaker terminals.

RadioShack had the 8 terminal speaker set on clearance for 77c, and 4 terminals were $3.49... so I got the 8 and cut it in half with a hacksaw.  I got an extra 4 terminal thingie if anyone wants it.  :-)

So yeah, nothing fancy, but it works.  Tested my supereux deux with it.  Holy shit, that thing rips. Can't wait to get that boxed up... but I'm going to try my first etch for that, so it might be a little while.  :)

alanp

I strongly suggest drilling a hole for a switch and putting an audioprobe in it as well! (But yeah, those speaker terminals are perfect for these test boxes.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Gledison

Great idea with the terminals! No wites hanging around!
What about the audio probe? How to do that and how to use it? I always hear about it but dont jnow how it works!
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

pickdropper

Simple, but incredibly useful.  The spring clip speaker terminals work great on test boxes.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

@gledison: its really easy and highly functional. an easy google search away but in a nutshell its a normal instrument cable with a small blocking cap on the tip wire. you plug one end in your amp, connect other end ground to your circuit ground and use the tip to probe around your circuit. makes it easy to trace your signal path and see where the signal gets lost. i dont even have a dedicated cable anymore, i just whip up one when i need one wit a cable, a cap and a few alligator clips.
really, an indispensable diagnostic tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

wstimson

Quote from: alanp on August 13, 2013, 10:53:10 PM
I strongly suggest drilling a hole for a switch and putting an audioprobe in it as well! (But yeah, those speaker terminals are perfect for these test boxes.)

I have three more holes on the top of the box and that is something I was going to add.
I've actually not needed one yet, but I will whip one up when it inevitably becomes necessary.