News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

(non Madbean) Brass Master clone

Started by soldersqueeze, September 02, 2013, 01:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldersqueeze

Back when I was total noob, I bought a Brass Master kit and built it up shoddily using solid core wire. It never really sounded great, so like many things, it got thrown in a drawer. Fast forward to today, and seeing as I'm playing bass again (and I'm too broke to build anything new...) I decided to rebuild it into a new enclosure. It really was poorly built, so I reflowed most of the solder on the board and redid all the wiring so it's at least vaguely presentable.
One thing I found was that the site who sells the kit provides 5 or 6 pages of wiring diagrams for this one pedal. WTF? It made my head spin even now, so I ended up working from the schematic.

This pedal now sounds really good, a squelchy, synthy, fuzzy mess of boom-shaka-laka. I might continue to trawl through the ol' drawer o' fail and see what else is in there :)

spaceboss

A Brass Master is most definitely on my eventual build list.  I have a feeling that I know what Bootsy would do...  8)

jimilee

I'd love to hear a demo without searching on youtube.. ::)
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

Not sure how I missed this--I like it! Where were you able to find the kit you used?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

karter2000

Where did you find that awesome ribbon wire?  I just got a kit from GGG that I'm hoping to start soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

soldersqueeze

Quote from: jimilee on September 06, 2013, 09:08:46 AM
Quote from: Bret608 on September 06, 2013, 08:57:51 AM
Not sure how I missed this--I like it! Where were you able to find the kit you used?
GGG is the place t get them I believe.
http://generalguitargadgets.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=166&category_id=34

Yup, that's where I got mine. The full kit comes with a 125BB deep enclosure, which I thought was stupidly small. This is built into a 1590XX.

Quote from: karter2000 on September 06, 2013, 09:15:37 AM
Where did you find that awesome ribbon wire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I got it from eBay, it is "Spectra Strip (135.2406.313) 13 CORE 24AWG" according to the seller. Expensive and fiddly to use, I'm in two minds about buying any more. Can't deny that it's quality stuff though.

Quote from: jimilee on September 02, 2013, 04:57:54 PM
I'd love to hear a demo without searching on youtube.. ::)

I want to record some demos for a few recent builds, so I'll try and do this one too. As with most pedals, it sounds a hell of a lot better than most of the crappy youtube demos!

Bret608

Thanks everyone for letting me know where this comes from!

Is this circuit primarily intended for bass? Even if so, how does it sound on guitar? I found a YouTube clip, but as you all indicated that can be less than illuminating, shall we say. I remember reading the Standard Fuzz sounds better on bass as well, but I love mine with my Mustang.

soldersqueeze

Quote from: Bret608 on September 06, 2013, 11:46:55 AM
Is this circuit primarily intended for bass? Even if so, how does it sound on guitar? I found a YouTube clip, but as you all indicated that can be less than illuminating, shall we say. I remember reading the Standard Fuzz sounds better on bass as well, but I love mine with my Mustang.

The brassmaster has an envelope filter-esque squelch that doesn't work for me on guitar, but you might love it. I imagine it could be awesome for freak out solos, fuzz is a very personal thing after all.