News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Labelling Your Pedals

Started by Gyrofist, February 14, 2011, 08:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gyrofist

Hey everyone,
I'm just curious as to how everyone puts labels onto their pedals (i.e. "Volume", "Tone") I'm thinking of just using some stencils and painting using those. Would that work, or is there a better/easier way? I don't want to have to send it off to get labelled, and I don't want to spend much $ doing it, so things using common household materials would be great.

irmcdermott

If you stay simple and don't do a whole lot of graphics and just label the pots and maybe the name of your pedal, you can get a sheet of decal paper from smallbear for like $2 and if that's all you do, an 8.5 x 11 sheet should last you a while.

jkokura

Another good and inexpensive sOlution is to use ink stamps. Buy an alphabet stamp kit and some staz on ink at a craft store. Works great.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

CRBMoA

Dymo Label Maker

I bought one of these, and you can get both clear and colored labels. GREAT way to start, and for under $30.00 I have been able to create labels for two years. I do alot of other things now, too. But I can always fall back to this. AND, it helped me label my parts bins, too!!

small fish

I bought some transparency self-adhesive stuff to use for laser or inkjet.

works fine (the fat bastard decal was made with it http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=953.0 actually there was a colour laser printer used).

the foil is quite thick, so it´s easier to print the whole pedal, instead of a single line - let´s say "tone" and "volume" as single print outs. when you finish your pedal with clear lacquer, you´ll see the places where you stuck it to. the whole thing printed out will give you a smooth surface.

It´s easier to work with photoshop or other gfx progs - imho.

I always wanted to give the waterslide decals a try, still searching for some dealer in germany.
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

B_of_H

I use a sharpie or a paint pen.  but then again I don't care what they look like really.  :)

thetrend77

Is there a cheap/easy way to get white lettering done? I'd like to label my pedals with white text, but that's not possible with inkjet printers :(

Gyrofist

Awesome ideas, plenty of options too. I have a few things around the house that might work, so I'll try those out (I think I might have some decal type stuff, but I'll have to check). I guess I could always try something out on a scrap piece that I have laying around before working with my pedal. I'll let you guys know if I think of anything new.
Corey

small fish

Quote from: thetrend77 on February 15, 2011, 09:53:59 AM
Is there a cheap/easy way to get white lettering done? I'd like to label my pedals with white text, but that's not possible with inkjet printers :(

There does exist some "rubbing letters" (don´t know the english word), which were used long time ago, before anyone got a laser printer. They´ll come in sheets where you put the  on the surface and rub them onto it with a pencil or so...what´s the stu*** word ???  :P
The greatest advantage was, that they existed in black and white! So perfect for lettering on any coloured surface.
I think they were called "letraset sheets". Here´s something from iStock photo:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1115040/2/istockphoto_1115040-rubbing-out-the-letters-letraset-shee.jpg
I´ve seen some of them in difeerent electronic stores here in germany, but very few. evilbay might be a good place to find??

eniacmike

yeah we have rub-on letters here too. I did two pedals with rub on letters but it was a total pain in the ass and very tiring to rub all the letters on, and hard to keep straight.

I use waterslide decals (like the kind you can get from smallbear) I use a brand called lazertran they sell at my local art supply store. It's still $2 a sheet though, but I don't have to pay shipping.

small fish

thx for the manufacturer "lazertran". Maybe I´ll find them sheets now...

The rubber...ehm...rubbing letters are a mess, I completely agree with you. I tried painting some white stuff on pedals, to put the black lettering above - just to read it. On my darkside it worked (I´ll post a pic later), but that´s no solution for any words / single letters.

madbean

I came up with an idea for fake silk screening a while back but it will only work on bare or polished aluminum enclosures, not painted ones.

1- design your graphics in an image editor
2- reverse the final design and print to a transfer media like Press n Peel
3 - iron the transfer to the enclosure---this is your mask
4 - using a roller and Stazon ink, apply ink to the non masked areas
5 - when the ink is dry, remove the mask with Acetone----this will not effect the ink

I haven't tried this, but I'm pretty sure it will work. You can't do it to painted enclosures because the Acetone will damage the finish/paint. But it won't harm bare metal!

jkokura

If you used rubbing alcohol, would it still be effective in removing the mask? Rubbing alcohol is fine on powder coated surfaces. For that matter, maybe acetone would be ok on powder coat. Never tried but I imagine some one has.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Gyrofist

I'm thinking of free-handing/stencilling the lettering. I know it's not the easiest or fastest way to do it, but at least it's something that I have a little experience from building models and having to paint those. I'm just wondering, I know that the paint has a tendency to chip off of the enclosure unless treated in some way. Should I just use a clearcoat of enamel or laquer overtop of it? Would that solve the durability problem? If I should use a clearcoat, would it be fine for me to, since I'm getting an already painted enclosure from pedalpartsplus, and then I'll be painting the labels on myself? Will the clearcoat work just overtop of what's already there?

...that rant was confusing, but any help's appreciated.
Corey