News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Several FATpants Builds

Started by Beerdog80, February 20, 2011, 05:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

what method are you using to apply the graphic? are you selling these?
Pcbs no longer available

Beerdog80

Quote from: sgmezei on March 17, 2011, 10:17:22 AM
Hey man those things look wicked!! what mods did you do on the 3 knob version with the switch? I have built one and am wondering if I should change it.

Also, do you use a primer on the enclosures before you paint them? or do you just sand them and apply multiple coats?

Thanks, and again, they look AWESOME.

Sorry bro...I was out of town for a bit and just saw you asked a question.

Yes, I scuff the bare metal, use a degreaser/cleaner and then primer the enclosure. 

After that dries, I scuff it/clean it again then start spraying.

The extra knob took the place of the trim pot.  The switch was for a little extra boost. 

Beerdog80

Quote from: small fish on March 17, 2011, 11:17:08 AM
Thumbs up! They´re perfect!

Any chance to get a detailed "paint report"?

As far as how I paint them?  See above :)   Pretty simple actually.  If you have a specific question, just ask bro.

The only step I left out of the other description was in between the paint and label stage, I put down several coats of intercoat clear, then wet sand and buff that out so the graphic has a perfectly smooth and highly reflective surface to sit on.

Then, it's 5-6 coats of HOK Klear, wet sand and buff again for a extreme shine and thats it.  A little time consuming but it is way worth it.

Beerdog80

Quote from: jimmybjj on March 17, 2011, 12:19:58 PM
what method are you using to apply the graphic? are you selling these?

Water clear decals.  Print them off on either a inkjet or laser printer, then I'll put some intercoat clear on them to protect it.  Some folks use rattle can clear coats but they kept cracking on me when I tried that so I just stick to the good stuff thats more pliable.

After that, soak for 15 seconds and lay it on.  After it dries, I'll lightly scuff it, clean it and then spray on the clear coat.  

They were all made for a group buy on the MLP forums http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pedals/95956-mlp-group-buy-n-build-pedal-project.html.  it's a long read but there are lots of pictures. :)  

If brian is cool with it (and it's not against the rules here) I'll make you one if you would like.