News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"Because it's there."

Started by alanp, November 25, 2013, 12:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Does anyone else find themselves taking up projects just for the sheer challenge of it? (That was a big reason for me to do the ADA and Lovetone flanges.)

Just started a TH sea urchin project (submitted just now.) Should be moderately hairy.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Thomas_H

I could not agree more.
Although I tend to try bringing things together forming someting new that has not been there before.

Ähh, what is a TH sea urchin project ?
DIY-PCBs and projects:

alanp

Er, through-hole sea urchin in a 1590A. Sorry, need to get to bed :/
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

The mantra of an FX junkie.
Ive built lots of stuff "just cos". I have a bunch of OD/Fuzz/Dist and barely ever play music which requires them.
Fun to buzz around on when I fancy it though.

kothoma

The more dirt boxes and swirl fx I build the more I resort to nothing between my guitar and a clean amp but a cable.

Cortexturizer

Amen.

Kothoma that should go to my signature.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

GermanCdn

Yeah, that accounts for about 1/2 my builds.  "Need" doesn't factor into it too much, it's just fun to put together.  However, I don't box (or even drill the box) until I've rocked it out enough to warrant that kind of commitment  :P.  Hence the big box of "Not boxed yet" below my build desk.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pedalman

In one hand you have your "wants" in the other hand you have your "needs"
But my "want" hand is heavy handed every time !
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

jimilee

It's a hobby with certain need for another hobby. I build for the challenge and to support independent designers like midway fair and Rej. I will end up with about 3 tremolos now with no real need for any, and everyone needs 10 delays, right?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

icecycle66

That might be the only reason I build, is for the challenge.
Well, that's why I started anyway.

Now, I also find that the more pedals I have, the fewer I use AT ONE TIME. Instead of having to stack and rearrange two or three distortion pedals, which then requires a noise filter, and probably and EQ.  I just use one of the ones I build that actually gets me the sound I'm looking for.

pedalman

Quote from: jimilee on November 26, 2013, 09:38:48 AM
It's a hobby with certain need for another hobby. I build for the challenge and to support independent designers like midway fair and Rej. I will end up with about 3 tremolos now with no real need for any, and everyone needs 10 delays, right?

No, 11 ! LOL
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

DutchMF

QuoteWe choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

This says it all. Kennedy had a point, so now lets forget about the whole 'Berliner' thing......  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

billstein

I have tried to discipline myself, I really have. I determined to be purposeful in my building. Decide what I need to build not just what I want to build. Ever since that iron willed resolve, I have built only what I wanted, piling one dirt box onto the pile of dirt boxes. I mean, how much distortion does one guy need?  :(
I'm now on a vero kick, for some reason I have decided that I need to build everything Wampler. I've built the plexi, pinnacle, ecstasy and today I will finish the Paisley.
I'm so weak. I SUCK!

jimilee

A hobby is frivolous anyway, no harm no foul!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.