News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

exactly why my pifs went domestic only ... intl shipping from america is just outside of my means for giveaways
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

davent

Quote from: thesmokingman on February 23, 2021, 07:06:10 PM
exactly why my pifs went domestic only ... intl shipping from america is just outside of my means for giveaways

Ordering stuff now from the US and the shipping costs can be jaw dropping.

A few years ago I ran a small package through Canada Post's online postage calculator sending it to a house in the neighbourhood and a friend's address in Pennsylvania USA, (an address i'd use for things sellers wouldn't ship to Canada)... the local neighbourhood delivery was slightly more, explain that one.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

harryklippton

I used to do a lot of international shipping 10+ years ago. At holiday time, I sent a usps priority mail flat rate envelope to my sister in law in Korea and was shocked that what I remembered as $13 flat rate anywhere in the world was now $35

davent

I haven't bought from Tayda in years and have no intention of ever doing so again, but another thread lead me to check out their shipping. Put together a $5US minimum order and checked shipping to Canada. Two options the $2.79 post , 7 - 120days, the DHL option ~$11US and a week or so, for small orders Tayda says not to use DHL because, my words, DHL are extortionist,  in my experiences with DHL i'll need to hand over another $25 or so cdn  to release a package. The $ 5US of parts from Tayda will run me around $45cdn or perhaps a 3 month wait.

The few orders i placed years ago were always weeks in getting to outside Toronto.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aentons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union#Shifting_balances_and_the_United_States

The UPU changes are the answer to alot of the international shipping questions. I think the newness of the changes will have to settle out for a little while before prices become stable again

Bio77

I usually choose the cheap option and receive my order in about ~7days (I'm in Los Angeles area).  The packages always come from Colorado.

Muadzin

Quote from: davent on February 24, 2021, 09:10:17 AM

It used to be that when you ordered a small enough package from the US it would sneak underneath the radar. Anything in a small box used to be safe from customs inspections. Not anymore. Governments are getting greedy and want to squeeze us for EVERY amount that they can.

davent

Quote from: Muadzin on March 02, 2021, 07:33:00 AM

It used to be that when you ordered a small enough package from the US it would sneak underneath the radar. Anything in a small box used to be safe from customs inspections. Not anymore. Governments are getting greedy and want to squeeze us for EVERY amount that they can.

Another US based forum was pushing their new t-shirts and other clothing and someone in Europe said they would have ordered but the shipping was prohibitive so a no go. Curious i checked  and even with us sharing a ~9,000k border with the US, shipping a T-shirt across the border to Canada was more than the shipping across the Atlantic to Europe.

Last i checked can still get free shipping to Canada from Mouser and Digikey so all is not lost.

Amazon.ca can be a nasty, received an email from a local electronics store on a new line of connectors they were carrying, looked for info on the new company and saw that Amazon.ca had a listing. Local store was selling them for $71cdn, Amazon.ca, had to do a screen grab...

Another time looking for a pair of high tops i'd bought for $50 locally, sellers on Amazon had five figure prices for them.

Looking to pad an order for free shipping so Amazon was the seller not an affiliate, store i can walk to Pentel pencil leads pack of two $2, Amazon $10, Avery labels, my store $4, Amazon $16. 
dave

TFZ

Quote from: Muadzin on March 02, 2021, 07:33:00 AM

I have the feeling that more than ever gets through unscrutinized over the last year due to the overwhelming amount of packages they have to handle during the pandemy. I didn't pay import taxes on anything last year, even packages of a couple kilogramms where you would expect they'd take a look.

Muadzin

Quote from: TFZ on March 03, 2021, 12:05:36 PM
I have the feeling that more than ever gets through unscrutinized over the last year due to the overwhelming amount of packages they have to handle during the pandemy. I didn't pay import taxes on anything last year, even packages of a couple kilogramms where you would expect they'd take a look.

A couple of years small packages easy got through. As long as it were the paper envelopes I only got hit once on Tayda orders, and I ordered those twice a month. But now, EVERY package. I guess with covid the Taxman wants EVERY pound of flesh. There seems to be no exception from US stuff. Only stuff from China still has a good chance of not getting hit.

TFZ

Might differ from country to country as well. But you're right, pretty much all packages I receive from outside the EU, pcbs and components, are of Asian origin.

dawson

Sadly surprised to discover that absolutely none of my preferred PCB designers thought it necessary to put on a festive St. Patrick's Day sale..I mean, crimony!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

matmosphere

Quote from: dawson on March 17, 2021, 08:58:24 AM
Sadly surprised to discover that absolutely none of my preferred PCB designers thought it necessary to put on a festive St. Patrick's Day sale..I mean, crimony!

I think Storyboardist just had a sale, don't know if it was for SPD?

harryklippton

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 17, 2021, 09:04:07 AM
Quote from: dawson on March 17, 2021, 08:58:24 AM

I think Storyboardist just had a sale, don't know if it was for SPD?

I think it was for Pi day and the sale was only for big muff circuits but I could be wrong

matmosphere

You are right. But it was on everything and you got a free muff board I think