News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Bought a set of brushes for my Audio Technica record player, including a stylus brush.

Is it me, or do new records have waaay more gunk on them than old ones? Because after I play a few new records, I always have to clean the danged needle.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on April 02, 2021, 12:02:42 PM
Bought a set of brushes for my Audio Technica record player, including a stylus brush.

Is it me, or do new records have waaay more gunk on them than old ones? Because after I play a few new records, I always have to clean the danged needle.

I've been wet cleaning vacuuming new lp's out of the package as it's said there's mould release on them, whether or not that's true? I clean/brush the stylus after every side checking with a 10x loupe o make sure it's clean before playing the next side, dust and lint, no gunk since i started wet cleaning my old collection and the virgin stuff as well.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quote from: alanp on April 02, 2021, 12:02:42 PM

New vinyl? Only album i've ever ordered from Amazon, Miles Davis - Kinda Blue, mono, not Amazon's fault that a piece of vinyl was embedded in the record's surface, sent it back for replacement, the replacement arrived obviously not in it's original shipping box, local shipping address, oversized boxed, single flap secured with a single small strip of Scotch tape, nothing inside the box to secure the album so it bounced around inside, punched through the top cover seam, bent the cover corner...

Jeff Tweedy album was for my birthday this March from my daughter, she bought it from from Amazon, clear vinyl with a loose piece of black vinyl inside the inner sleeve, black smear? can't tell by looking whether it's surface or contained but no auditory presence.

Amazon is just bad news.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

PapaKev

I wish this guy would tell us what he really thought.  /sarcasm

matmosphere

Quote from: PapaKev on April 04, 2021, 01:45:17 PM

Without actually watching this my reaction is.. oh shit I've been found out!!

harryklippton

I'm mad that inkscape defaults to A4 document size and I haven't figured out how to change the default. It just cost me an expensive sheet of gold foil stock because I forgot to change it

Aleph Null

I use audio taper for volume and tone. Pots aren't that expensive, why not just test both and find what you like?

Edit: Around 7:30 this guy demonstrates that he doesn't understand how a voltage divider works.

midwayfair

alanp

Always liked Brian Johnson -- he comes across as incredibly down to earth and humble. Foo Fighters, I've never really looked into (other than the Sound City documentary, good stuff), but Dave Grohl always interviews well with lots of good stories.

Hey -- it got me to watch this for a whole hour!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Quote from: Aleph Null on April 07, 2021, 03:02:11 PM

I use audio taper for volume and tone. Pots aren't that expensive, why not just test both and find what you like?

Edit: Around 7:30 this guy demonstrates that he doesn't understand how a voltage divider works.
I don't know why I haven't seriously thought about this before, but nearly 100% of the time I play guitar, my volume and tone knobs are turned all the way up, so it doesn't matter at all what the pot tapers are.  I really should build myself a guitar that has no knobs. (Or, alternatively, I should learn how to properly use the knobs I have.  ::))
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aentons

Wait... So is madbean a guitar forum? I had you guys all wrong 🤣 jk

How does he know if he's not on them as well so according to himself he's one too.

Aentons

Quote from: EBK on April 08, 2021, 03:32:46 AM
I really should build myself a guitar that has no knobs.

I have heard on guitar forums that pickups are designed to have a knob.... it's usually in the 500k vs 250k discussion

Aentons

Quote from: Aentons on April 08, 2021, 11:14:27 AM

Wait... So is madbean a guitar forum? I had you guys all wrong 🤣 jk

How does he know if he's not on them as well so according to himself he's one too.

Is there a major guitar manufacturer that doesn't ship with all audio pots for volume and tone?

Bio77

The Nikki Sixx Thunderbird has no knobs, just an on-off switch. 

Aentons

Quote from: Bio77 on April 08, 2021, 12:54:44 PM
The Nikki Sixx Thunderbird has no knobs, just an on-off switch.
It also has custom designed pickups 😁