News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how the heck do you guys organize all this stuff?

Started by danwelsh, January 28, 2014, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Quote from: Leevibe on January 28, 2014, 10:09:44 PM
Drawers makes building way quicker.

Plus it's fun to sort parts when they arrive!

I remember the baggies inside of baggies thing.  I get drawers for super cheap at harbor freight.  $16 for 40 drawer cabinet.  Quality is good enough for what I need.

What a nice workspace! I've got to make sure my wife doesn't see this, don't feel like hearing "Why can't you be organized like Leevibe?" Because I'm NOT Leevibe..... Sheesh.... Women

Leevibe

Quote from: billstein on January 28, 2014, 10:43:26 PM

I remember the baggies inside of baggies thing.  I get drawers for super cheap at harbor freight.  $16 for 40 drawer cabinet.  Quality is good enough for what I need.

What a nice workspace! I've got to make sure my wife doesn't see this, don't feel like hearing "Why can't you be organized like Leevibe?" Because I'm NOT Leevibe..... Sheesh.... Women

Ha!  Call it a clean phase.  I don't have any pics of when my bench was a closet door on saw horses on the living room with baggies everywhere!

muddyfox

Quote from: Leevibe on January 28, 2014, 10:33:42 PM
Adds drama and coolness.

I get enough drama from building the boards as it is...  ::)

davent

Quote from: alanp on January 28, 2014, 10:28:42 PM
I seriously need to get a lamp like that. Partly for photographing, partly to see better.

Lee Valley sell a bushing you sink anywhere into your work surface  so you can get rid of that annoying clamp. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70534&cat=1,41636,41637,70534
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

[/quote]

Lee Valley sell a bushing you sink anywhere into your work surface  so you can get rid of that annoying clamp. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70534&cat=1,41636,41637,70534
dave
[/quote]

Thanks Dave!  That is exactly what I have been thinking about!  I've actually searched Home Depot for something that would work.  Maybe I'll buy a few so I can move the lamp depending on what I'm working on.

davent

I got a couple to do that with but just ended up adding a second light so one for each end of the bench. They're  so much studier then those flimsy clamps that in my case at least, seemed to be always letting go.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

Not my idea here! But got this CD case hanging around and is a pretty good solution for resistors, transistors, caps!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on January 29, 2014, 09:09:58 AM
I got a couple to do that with but just ended up adding a second light so one for each end of the bench. They're  so much studier then those flimsy clamps that in my case at least, seemed to be always letting go.

So for an extra $6 I have justification to buy another tool?  I'm in!

davent

How could you go wrong with a vendor called Lee?

When we named our daughter, i thought Leigh fit well as her middle name, had a nice ring to it, later realized that my affinity for that name was due to my Lee Valley Tools addiction.
dave

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on January 29, 2014, 10:56:42 AM
How could you go wrong with a vendor called Lee?

When we named our daughter, i thought Leigh fit well as her middle name, had a nice ring to it, later realized that my affinity for that name was due to my Lee Valley Tools addiction.
dave

There is that!

DutchMF

Quote from: Gledison on January 29, 2014, 09:49:09 AM
Not my idea here! But got this CD case hanging around and is a pretty good solution for resistors, transistors, caps!

That's great!! *starts looking to see if the Dutch household has one of those*

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

gtr2

My problem is I procrastinate putting parts orders away and end up with half a days work sorting parts.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on January 29, 2014, 11:22:07 AM

That's great!! *starts looking to see if the Dutch household has one of those*

Paul
heheeh, you might have to throw it away some Anouk CD's..ehhehe, hope not!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Jabulani Jonny

I'd love to go the drawers route, but it seems like you'd have a lot more values of components than you'd have drawers for.  That's a sweet setup for sure.  My challenge is that I typically work on my studio/computer desk so I have to be able to pack it up. 

Jonathan

Leevibe

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 05, 2014, 02:13:21 PM

I'd love to go the drawers route, but it seems like you'd have a lot more values of components than you'd have drawers for.  That's a sweet setup for sure.  My challenge is that I typically work on my studio/computer desk so I have to be able to pack it up.

I used the little craft bead sorting boxes like the one in stomptown's pic for a long time.  They are portable and cheap.  The biggest issue I had was being able to keep stuff sorted by value.  You can't reshuffle them like you can a drawer.  Still, for you they could be just the ticket because they're easy to move around and you can stack them.