News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opamp Big Muff?

Started by the3secondrule, March 13, 2011, 10:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

That's a nice looking layout Jacob!  Nice Etch too haberdasher!  Keep us posted!  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

Thanks Josh

Well, I'm through with most of it, but I hit a speed bump with the 120nF cap.  I assumed it would be easy enough to cobble that value together with a union in either parallel or series, but I can't work it out unless I utilize a cap I'm saving for another project.  I grabbed one from mammoth since I was making an order anyway, and it should be here by Thursday or Friday.  Then I'll just mash in a couple of ICs and wire it up.  Not necessarily in that order. :)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

I think a 150nf might be fine in that spot. Don't have schem in front of me, but you do. See any reason why a 150nF wouldn't work there?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

It's a cap that is going from the tone section to ground.  I'm sure 150n is fine, but I already cleaned up & I'm probably done for the night at this point.  I'll definitely throw a socket in there tomorrow and finish it up with a 150n.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

jkokura

Coolio. Yeah, even if it doesn't 'sound' right, it will at least verify that the circuitboard works. Once we know that, we can tune it to sound great all day long.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

OK I think we're all verified here.

This took way longer than I expected because I had to rebuild my breadboard testing rig with a new 3pdt switch, and so I had to rewire the whole thing.  I'm still having some crazy ground issue with my test rig that is driving me bat shit.  I've been over the wiring several times and I can't figure out what the problem is.  I'm literally having to play with one sock off, touching the input & output jacks with my toes to be able to hear over the hum.  But anyway, that's my problem, lol.

I will say this thing sounds pretty good.  Right now mine sounds a little too hi-fi because I didn't have a single channel opamp for the lm741 that isn't "too clean" sounding.  I tried TL071, LF351, and NE5534 and they all sound about the same.  I thought I had a TL081 around here somewhere, but no dice on that.

The only weird thing so far is the tone pot.  If I turn it full treble it sounds nasal like a cocked wah.  But since I'm using the wrong value cap for C9 (150n instead of 120n), it's probably as simple as that.  I'll be receiving an order tomorrow with a .12uF cap in it, so we will know soon enough.

[attachment deleted by admin]

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

bigmufffuzzwizz

Cool!! I'm excited to hear this.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals