The Addiction and How to Deal With It

Started by peAk, March 27, 2014, 11:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

John

peAk

DP

peAk

peAk, I failed to mentioned this part of the baggie process. What I decided to do, and I got this from someone a long time ago as I recall, was buy a box of the old coin envelopes  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/478259/Office-Depot-Brand-Coin-Envelopes-2/ 

You might say great, more money to spend and this is true but it is the method I chose to use. What I would do is use one of these for all the same values of caps, res, diodes etc... I also put IC's in there and whatever. So if I have say ten 10k's I would put all ten in the one envelope and circle 10 on it etc... down the list. That way they are not scattered about in the bag. I don't bother to lable R1 or C1 etc... I just use the BOM to identify and then grab the value.

The other reason I put a number such at ten 10k's is if I end up short or one too many I know something is up and I screwed up. I've caught myself on this say using a 4.7k instead of a 47k before and am able to desolder right there as opposed to hours of troubleshooting later...been there and done that too.

Then when it comes time to build I would say pull out all my resistors envelopes and lay them out in order above me on the table. Grab my board and go. Repeat.

It is just something that works for my brain. How long that box of envelopes lasts really depends on the number of parts per build. I've never done this but you could reuse it at least once by flipping it over and writing on them. Make sure you scratch out the old writing on it though!

Anyway, that's how I roll  ;D

think I am going to try this. Sounds a little more efficient than labeling each resistor, cap, etc. and it is probably a little safer. It looks to me you could write the value rather small then just cross it out after you finish. Should be able to get used quite a few times, yes?

flanagan0718

I am getting things today to REVOLUTIONIZE storage...I think. I haven't seen it done anyways. I'll post a couple of pictures when I get it started.

[/quote]

think I am going to try this. Sounds a little more efficient than labeling each resistor, cap, etc. and it is probably a little safer. It looks to me you could write the value rather small then just cross it out after you finish. Should be able to get used quite a few times, yes?

[/quote]

PeAk do you want a copy of my invetory sheets? They already have a ton of values and parts. Its all organized and neat. All you'll have to do is count (the most tedious part) and input data. just PM me.

peAk

TNblueshawk

Quote from: peAk on March 28, 2014, 06:48:07 AM

peAk, I failed to mentioned this part of the baggie process. What I decided to do, and I got this from someone a long time ago as I recall, was buy a box of the old coin envelopes  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/478259/Office-Depot-Brand-Coin-Envelopes-2/ 

You might say great, more money to spend and this is true but it is the method I chose to use. What I would do is use one of these for all the same values of caps, res, diodes etc... I also put IC's in there and whatever. So if I have say ten 10k's I would put all ten in the one envelope and circle 10 on it etc... down the list. That way they are not scattered about in the bag. I don't bother to lable R1 or C1 etc... I just use the BOM to identify and then grab the value.

The other reason I put a number such at ten 10k's is if I end up short or one too many I know something is up and I screwed up. I've caught myself on this say using a 4.7k instead of a 47k before and am able to desolder right there as opposed to hours of troubleshooting later...been there and done that too.

Then when it comes time to build I would say pull out all my resistors envelopes and lay them out in order above me on the table. Grab my board and go. Repeat.

It is just something that works for my brain. How long that box of envelopes lasts really depends on the number of parts per build. I've never done this but you could reuse it at least once by flipping it over and writing on them. Make sure you scratch out the old writing on it though!

Anyway, that's how I roll  ;D

Sure, no doubt. I should have done it to save a few bucks myself but I guess I was just too lazy and sloppy with my large writing.

John

m-Kresol

Quote from: midwayfair on March 28, 2014, 06:19:50 AM
Quote from: m-Kresol on March 28, 2014, 12:09:35 AMAlthough, we might have to only use lead-free solder and solder in a professionally ventilated area to live long. My electronics teacher was like "Don't use the Pb-containing solder, if you want kids without three arms." my answer: "Three arms would be the most awesome thing for soldering!"  ;D

PSA time to allay some of these fears: Lead doesn't vaporize or burn at soldering temperatures, it melts, which is how it ends up on circuit boards. The flux and rosin are much more dangerous and often contain known carcinogens that, in high concentrations, are very dangerous. There may be trace lead particles in the solder fumes, and of course those build up over time, but again they aren't the primary danger. Just don't eat the solder, and was your hands after working, and lead poisoning for a hobbyist will not be a danger. You still want ventilation, of course.

Here's one source:
http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/ih/pdf/safeSolderingFinal.pdf
"Because of the relatively low temperatures in electronic soldering, fumes from these metal constituents themselves are not normally a concern. When solder contains a core of 1-3% flux, appropriate controls should be used."

I'm pretty sure this is similar to the wording in the NASA soldering guidelines, but I'm too lazy to dig through those at the moment.

Again, I'm not saying that ventilation isn't necessary!

You're right John. I actually do not concern myself to much with the hazards coming with flux nor with lead. I have so many chemicals and solvents in my lab which have either a skull, an exclamation mark or the sign for "health hazard" on them (not to begin with all the new substances we produce, which are all untested in that matter), I do not care about the "toxic" stuff at home.
But remember (I love the way my solder smells) ;):
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

peAk

damn, I never have ventilation.

I knew that lead in solder wasn't a concern because of what John said, I did not know that Rosin and Flux were.

Time to bust the fans out.

midwayfair

flanagan0718

flanagan0718

Ok guys I started the best storage idea! I think it's mine, I haven't seen any one else do it. But here it is

The first picture shows resistors and other small parts. They are in a trading card sleeve. The second shows you can do possible kit w/board organizing. You could also get the full page sleeves and put the build doc in the binder with the parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peAk

Nice man, the only thing is......

....that you can only probably have a couple of builds with this method, no? Not sure how many actual sleeves are in there.

It does look super clean though! I remember a while back a member here posting that he uses CD booklets. This is similar but will smaller sleeves.

I like it.

flanagan0718

Quote from: peAk on March 28, 2014, 06:06:32 PM
Nice man, the only thing is......

....that you can only probably have a couple of builds with this method, no? Not sure how many actual sleeves are in there.

It does look super clean though! I remember a while back a member here posting that he uses CD booklets. This is similar but will smaller sleeves.

I like it.

You can get what ever sized binder you want 1/2 inch to 3 inch. The pages come in 10 packs and there are 9 pockets to a sleeve and you can put as many sleeves as the binder will accommodate. I got the supplies at staples but you can pretty much get it anywhere.

ian_guga

I have boxes...also a wife. When boxes pile rises wife starts to nag. When nagging level reaches over the white noise I clean up some of the boxes - involves trashing old unfinished projects, finishing some and even trying to sell some pedals /I really hate this part/. Then the cycle starts again.
I envy most of you guys 'cos it looks like you are neat, order loving folks who keep their things well organized. I am so messy it's a shame. it takes so long to find a part I need that usually I just order new...also I hate debugging so usually if something goes wrong I start over...so more boxes... yeah...
my lab loves fuzz

davent

For organizing parts, cut down cardboard magazine holders and labelled 3x5" ziploc bags (can see inventory without opening up the bag) for small bodied resistors, diodes, plastic & ceramic caps, led's etc... Plastic wall of drawers and divided, lidded hobby trays for the bigger bits.

One magazine holder will hold thousands of resistors.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?