News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tuskproto / Small Mexican Dog / Dumberoid

Started by juansolo, April 29, 2014, 10:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Tuskproto
Not much to say really, it's a straight Klone in a 1590B form factor using Rej's Tusk PCB.

Small Mexican Dog
Another. This one has some art provided by Ian Price, for whom the pedal was made.

Dumberoid
Where to start with this one... This is a clone of a 'boutique' OD that was the latest thing to be hyped out of all proportion on TGP. Mainly because it's name had the D word in it and it was $600.

Long story short; it's a Tube Screamer with lots of different parts thrown fairly randomly at it. It actually sounds pretty good now I've got it right. It doesn't in any way justify the price tag though. Especially when you see the state of the original...

To prove a point, I built it on a generic Poodle Pedal Parts Tube Screamer board and altered their schematic should you wish to do the same.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

The Dumberoid looks great and all, but you're never going to sell it with wiring that neat.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Wait, I thought it was just a single LED and no opposed diode?

The first four letters of that name pretty much sums up that whole $600 debacle.

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Quote from: midwayfair on April 29, 2014, 11:07:55 AM
Wait, I thought it was just a single LED and no opposed diode?

Yep, in the second stage. The accent control is essentially gain on the 2nd stage.

GrindCustoms

Well done mate! 8)

Now that you've put them together, is the goal of having the easiest fastest klone to populated achieved?

That Dumbloid.... pfff! Can't beleive how people are dumb! lol

Nice looking tho!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Less than 2hrs beginning to end I think. That was starting with an unpopulated board and a completed enclosure (with the power jack in the wrong place DOH! Just habit putting them in the side). It'd take a lot less time with a couple more done. Board took about 40 mins. I was also taking my time. I think an hour end to end is possible...

So yeah, fastest klone ever!

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on April 29, 2014, 10:39:43 AM
The Dumberoid looks great and all, but you're never going to sell it with wiring that neat.

I was going to sell it before the tweaks when I found it unpleasant. I'm quite embarrassed about the fact that I quite liked it today...  :-[

culturejam

Quote from: juansolo on April 29, 2014, 02:01:13 PM
I'm quite embarrassed about the fact that I quite liked it today...  :-[

Don't be. Loads of people love that core circuit. ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

LOL. It's amusing the amount of denial that's going on about it being a screamer deep down.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: juansolo on April 29, 2014, 01:56:00 PM
Less than 2hrs beginning to end I think. That was starting with an unpopulated board and a completed enclosure (with the power jack in the wrong place DOH! Just habit putting them in the side). It'd take a lot less time with a couple more done. Board took about 40 mins. I was also taking my time. I think an hour end to end is possible...

So yeah, fastest klone ever!

Nice!

I think the last one i did... last week took me 2hours complete, from undrilled/unfinished enclosure, unpopulated board.... makes my hour rate wage way bettter than before! lulz

The uBer Klone 3PDT daughter boards are in the mail as i'm writing this... will send you a sneak peak... tomorrow or so.;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

It's not a big deal to twist a couple of wires ;) You'd only notice if someone pointed it out.

midwayfair

Juan, you might want to try a blue LED antiparallel to the red one. That would avoid the op amp clipping but keep the asymmetrical clipping.

wgc

Way overplayed, but I'll do it anyway...

Bet they'd take longer on a card table.

Really nice!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jighead81

Very Nice!

Man I wish there was some tusk boards for sale.