News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking for a nice throaty wah?

Started by Mark_McQ, April 13, 2011, 12:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_McQ

This guy has it solved. This sounds amazing. I want a 2nd Crybaby now....

k.rock!

Nice! I read aomewhere that SRV used to do this live...go figure! hehe Not to mention he was a crazy fan of Jimi Hendrix and actually bought one of his wah pedals from Jimi's uncle after Jimi passed. On a related note, I can't wait to work with Bean's WeenerWah! haha That sounded weird...
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

mattpoole

wow, that would be a pretty easy mod right? i have very little experience with wahs, but it seems like you could add some extra guts and a switch and have a option for monster wah!

Myramyd

I've seen somewhere where you can mod to use two inductors at the same time via a switch. Don't know if that would be enough or not. I can't remember if that was the BYOC or one of the Tonepad Wahs.

I'm curious to see what the new Weener Wah is all about.

J

sgmezei

me too. I really love wah and havent used mine lately because I hate the tone of it. I had a vox that sounded junky and now have a Dunlop 535q and do NOT dig it. It has a ton of options and knobs but I can never get it to sound right. Then if I get something useable, it changes when I pack up.

Cant wait for the Weener Winner!!!

stecykmi

Quote from: Myramyd on April 13, 2011, 09:48:57 PM
I've seen somewhere where you can mod to use two inductors at the same time via a switch. Don't know if that would be enough or not. I can't remember if that was the BYOC or one of the Tonepad Wahs.

I'm curious to see what the new Weener Wah is all about.

J

that's not exactly the same thing as what this guy seems to be doing. two inductors is actually just two inductors in parallel or series, this is two filters in series, which is much different.

buckysde

Quote from: sgmezei on April 13, 2011, 10:33:31 PM
me too. I really love wah and havent used mine lately because I hate the tone of it. I had a vox that sounded junky and now have a Dunlop 535q and do NOT dig it. It has a ton of options and knobs but I can never get it to sound right. Then if I get something useable, it changes when I pack up.

Cant wait for the Weener Winner!!!

I too am on a search for the "perfect wah".  GGG used to have a wah mod kit.  Now if you google it you can find the PCB and parts list.  Sounds like my solution is to replace some of the key resistors with trim pots to dial in the tone and add a rotary switch to select different caps to vary the sweep.  I'm hoping I'll FINALLY get a wah I'm happy with and with the internal controls, I won't have to worry about messing up the settings from packing up.

sgmezei

Im actually thinking of buying the BYOC wah kit to try it out and gain an extra enclosure. Anyone have one of them or know much about them? I know they are more exspensive....

jkokura

I have a Moddable wah board from GGG someone etched for me a long while back. I probably will never get to it, so if you're willing to give me some bucks for it, I can send it to whomever would appreciate it.

I haven't built the BYOC Wah, but it looks good. I too don't like building kits anymore because they do cost a fair bit more than sourcing myself would cost.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

joegagan

i'm the redneck in that video. you won't get this sound with two stock wahs, or even two normally modded wahs. ;) 8) ???

two thomas organ wahs in series. both modded.
first one, i can't remember what i did but it had to do with getting the most harmonics out of the inductor. mostly adjusting the  mh and resistance of the inductor and ind>cap to ground value. each inductor has its own favorite value anywhere from 3 uf to 12 uf, you have to find the one that opens up the harmonics of each inductor. that is why many wah modders miss the boat, they aren't getting the inductor tuned. probably a treble bleed cap around the input resistor as well.

2nd wah (superpuke talking weasel) has a huge Q cap and a morley bad horsie inductor, 480 mh and 12 ohm (measured) per morleys stated spec. it is the one that has the huge vocal bark. when a good sounding wah is placed in front of it, all hell breaks loose. when combined like this, i call the whole mess superpuke talking weasel with vitamin Q injection. they are hardwired together, each with their own dpdt, each can be operated on its own but they share one battery and one masonite board with a brontoboost ahead.

each wah sounds really good on its own, but the superpuke is crazy. guys who have heard live it say it reminds them of a talk box.

superpuke on its own:

superpuke talking weasel with vItamin Q injection:

thanks for listening!

jkokura

Cool, thanks for sharing Joe!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

maysink

Quote from: joegagan on April 14, 2011, 09:05:06 PM
each inductor has its own favorite value anywhere from 3 uf to 12 uf, you have to find the one that opens up the harmonics of each inductor. that is why many wah modders miss the boat, they aren't getting the inductor tuned.

Thanks for sharing, joe! Is there some math involved in the above quote or just playing with values until you find "the one?"
[nothing to see here]
-e

joegagan

and then, there is the whole topic of the charge/discharge time on the cap as it relates to your wah foot, pot value, taper etc etc.

in theory, 4- 1 uf caps would do the same thing as a single 4uf cap, but it is possible that the two might actually 'feel'different tothe player due to the charge discharge time.

in a wah, the pot is causing a resistance change to two halves of the circuit. ( a pair of resistances going to each side at any given point in time) is it possible that the cap charge/discharge time and these resistances 'under the bell" are the reason that pot taper is such a touchy part of how it feels? something i have not heard discussed.

jkokura

Awesome video Joe. I can tell you like wah!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*