News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Sagittary! aka dual sunking w/ ultra switching options!

Started by tubeman, May 10, 2011, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimihendrix1987

Hi there,

Tubeman I've written you several private messages, explaining what I have found out talking with Brian about Shipping costs.

Did you receive them?  ;)

tubeman

Thx Jimi!

Jimi helped me find a good way to cross the pond!

Lm313H is $5 (selling all day for $10 a piece on ebay)
CR220   is $8 (selling for $15 a piece on ebay)
CR100   is $8 (selling for $15 a piece on ebay)

Send a cashiers check or postal order for the diodes you like like plus $3 shipping n handling to:
Stephen Nelson
8315 E Gregory Blvd
Kansas City, MO 64133

JakeFuzz

Sunking is done. Ill try and record a couple of HD clips maybe tonight and tomorrow. Didn't test any other diodes than the LM313H yet, but they sound very interesting, definitely different from what I remember my old Sunking (with 1n34a's) sounding like but that was about a year ago so I cannot be certain of the exact differences. I did the 6.8n cap substitution, true bypassed and used a JRC4558D in IC1 and an NE5532P for IC2. I am going to switch Q1 to a 5532 too and just go with that; it sounds a little too tubscreamer-ish at the moment. The most noticeable thing I can say off the bat is that there is something strange with the note bloom and attack which I am not sure can be attributed to the clippers. More investigation is needed!

I will breadboard up a set of common diodes to test out ASAP. 

tubeman

Definitely somethin a miss. Mine has no resemblance of any type of tube screamer circuit.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: tubeman on June 10, 2011, 08:54:39 PM
Definitely somethin a miss. Mine has no resemblance of any type of tube screamer circuit.

Yeah I am thinking bumping up the treble cap was a mistake. Did you use the JRC4558 in IC1 or IC2? Right now it sounds sort of like my Fulldrive 2 @ 18 volts. I really didn't have time to make a full evaluation, too many little kids running around or sleeping! argh, there is like a 2 hour window where I can actually play this at a good volume level.  

Edit: ahh, a JRC4558D and DD. I have a ton of duals sitting around ill try in here and see whats up.

tubeman

Went back to TL072's in both sockets and much happier!  8)

Jamiroking

Great build Tubeman!
I'm about to build a Sunking and actually was asking elsewhere about a way to put in a toggle that selects between the true bypass/buffered by pass modes before I saw yours which seems to do just that. Mind giving some tips on how I could pull this off with just my one centaur?
Thanks

Jamiroking

tubeman

Wire the pedal witht eh buffered bypass mounted to a dpdt toggle switch or stomp switch. Then, add in ur true bypass master switchto the already built pedals input and output. You should be good!

thetinnedman

Has anyone that's used the lm313h's had any problem with them blowing? It taken any precautions to prevent them blowing?

JakeFuzz

Quote from: thetinnedman on February 24, 2012, 06:20:34 AM
Has anyone that's used the lm313h's had any problem with them blowing? It taken any precautions to prevent them blowing?

Yep I blew mine up. I was trying out the high gain mod by increasing the feedback resistor for the first gain stage. Looking at the data sheet these aren't normal diodes. They look to be a fairly complex regulation circuit. This probably lends to their unique sound but also makes them susceptible to frying when you pump too much current across them; they are now just two open circuits. I would say if you don't run any high gain mods you should be fine. Mine were great on the stock values. But for now I have settled on a 1N695 and a BAT85, sounds just as epic IMO. 

thetinnedman

I don't plan on modding the pedal at all. Im using a vero layout from Sabro tone to do the build. I just really liked the fullness of the lm313hs but I will be using good portion of the pedals gain. May try to throw in a clone of the zvex SHO I built.  Don't know how well they'll sound together tho.