Previous topic - Next topic

marmaliser

Amazing...you make SMD seem simple ...stunning

raulduke

It's a bloody work of art mate!

Top notch.

Govmnt_Lacky

DEMO.... DEMO..... DEMO!!!!

Mind-blowing work my friend!  8) We gotta hear it in action please....

hylandren

Quote from: chuckbuick on December 10, 2014, 07:07:19 PM
First I get her all wet......Next I grab my part with tweezers.....Drill some holes, tighten some nuts, yada, yada, yada...
:o
But seriously, that is a great into to SMD for noobs like myself.
Absolutely zero chance I will ever be at the level to try SMD, but I do enjoy reading and learning, so thanks for the detailed post!

chuckbuick

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Quote from: cooder on December 10, 2014, 08:54:03 PM
What type of magnification do you use if I may ask? Do you use a stereo microscope or jewellers loupe for soldering and checking the joints?
I use an Optivisor with a 2.5X lens for most of it.  I have a 10X loupe for checking really fine stuff.

Quote from: wgc on December 10, 2014, 08:19:18 PM1. I've been dying to do an smd flanger.  My to-do list hasn't decreased to the point of doing that yet.  This is killer. If it was 1590a I would've passed out and hit my head or something.

3.  I'll be posting my not done in time build soon too. Love what I saw though, really tough choices.

1.  Hey Billy.  If you decide to go A/DA watch out for the error on the Moosapotamus schematic.  It shows a connection between R31 and the junction of D5 and D6 that shouldn't be there.

3.  Welcome to the club.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 11, 2014, 05:12:36 AM
DEMO.... DEMO..... DEMO!!!!

Mind-blowing work my friend!  8) We gotta hear it in action please....
I'll give it a shot.  I gotta try and redeem myself for that awful sounding clip I used for the contest.

Quote from: hylandren on December 11, 2014, 05:26:57 AMAbsolutely zero chance I will ever be at the level to try SMD, but I do enjoy reading and learning, so thanks for the detailed post!
Don't sell yourself short, man.  SMD isn't difficult and shouldn't be compared to any perceived skill level.  It's just different.  If you can hold a soldering iron in one hand and tweezers in the other you're good to go.  Honestly, my eyes aren't great, my hands are a bit shaky, and I only have a HS education.  Nothing magic.  I won't say you're missing out on anything and you need to try it.  It's just caps and resistors and the like.  I'm just saying don't let SMD be the only thing stopping you from trying SMD if you are inclined to.

Govmnt_Lacky

@chuck

Any chance these PCBs would be available for purchase? OR, do you happen to have any extras? I would be interested in using this to dip my toe into SMD.

Thomas_H

Great stuff.
I solder SMT once in a while but am not very happy with doing so.
You got my respect!
DIY-PCBs and projects:

pickdropper

And Chuckbuick hath declared that no wire shall touch aluminum at any time.  So it will be.

Nice build, Mark.  :-)

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wgc

Thanks for the info Mark!  I've been looking at the ultraflanger circuit, but it seems to get mixed reviews.  I'm also interested in designs that use two pt2399s, but haven't heard any.

Had not considered the ada for some reason, but I would totally buy a pcb of your layout.  I've got about 3-4 other layouts in process at the moment, so starting a flanger layout of my own is probably 5 months out.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

m-Kresol

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 11, 2014, 06:44:07 AM
@chuck

Any chance these PCBs would be available for purchase? OR, do you happen to have any extras? I would be interested in using this to dip my toe into SMD.

I would be in for one too, if you have spares :)
Since I did the NoMojo Fuzz almost a year ago, I wanted to do more SMD
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

icecycle66

You make fantastic SMD boards.
Do you share them on OSHpark?

Guitarmageddon

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

morganp

This is really stunning!  I see folks doing stuff like this and think "I could never do that" but you've really got me intrigued.  What would you say are the pros and cons?  My simple understanding is "SMD is harder because it's tiny" and "the parts are much cheaper" and "I don't know where to get boards".  I've been doing a lot of vero builds so far, partly because of the liberty of doing whatever project for which I can find or create a layout.  Are there many resources for SMD boards?  Sorry for all the questions, this build is gorgeous inside and out and finally got me thinking seriously about the possibilities.
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

wgc

I'm biased but it's in most cases not that hard, aside from smaller size.  Mark does make it look beautiful and easy!

Most of the parts are cheaper but not always. Tantalum caps are not cheap, the price break for qty is dramatic but quite an investment.

But there's a lot of benefits. You can fit a lot in a small space. No clipping leads. You can stack parts easily. Forgot to add a resistor in your layout?   Just cut the trace, scrape some mask, and solder the part. It can be really fast if you stencil solder paste and reflow all at once. That takes a bit more setup though.

If you're interested, there's a few pcbs around. I think pick dropper has a few for sale, muddy fox, I may have one or two floating around. Search smd here and some will turn up.

I'd start with something that has less parts, but I'm sure most people here can do smd too.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings