News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VC Flanger

Started by chuckbuick, December 11, 2014, 03:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

I'm joining in with the others who started projects for the Fall contest but couldn't meet the deadline.  I didn't start working on designing the PCB until Nov. 10th so that kinda set me back.  Then some calibration issues, Thanksgiving weekend, blah, blah, blah.  I've got a ton of excuses, but no good reasons.  Enough of my whining...

So it's an A/DA Flanger designed from Moosapotamus's schematic and also using his great series of vids to calibrate it.  I mounted the Volume pot externally.  I included pads to add the jack for the external Manual foot control.  I searched for vid examples of people using them but didn't find any.  I decided if the rest of the world isn't using it then I probably wouldn't use it either.  So I omitted it from the build and cannot say for sure that that feature works.  But without the jack wired I had to jumper the Sleeve and Switch pads to make the Manual pot work.  I thought I had FUBAR'd my PCB but I just needed to simulate that unplugged jack.  Only a few minutes a foul language there.

I'm gonna post a few pics of my populating procedure for those of you that are curious about working with SMT. 

First I get her all wet with a flux pen and put down some solder on one pad of each component.  Usually the right side pads as I hold my iron in my right hand and the components in my left.  I prefer .015" diameter solder for SMT parts.

Next I grab my part with tweezers, heat the pad with the solder, and place the part on the pads.  Like through-hole stuff I start with the shortest parts first then work through to the tallest ones.  I wait to add those pesky through-holes parts until after all the SMT stuff is finished.

After all parts are tacked in to place I go back over the board soldering the remaining pads.  Then I added the socket for the MN3007.

Toss in some pots, a switch, and LED and she's ready to go on the test rig.  The Speed pot pictured here was later replaced with the correct "C" taper pot.  And IC9 was rotated to it's proper orientation.  Chip Quik FTW!

After that it's all the usual buildy stuff.  Drill some holes, tighten some nuts, yada, yada, yada...

6 pots, 1 toggle, the usual jacks and LED and only 9 short wires.  I loves me some board-mounted parts.

Thanks for checking it out.  I was bummed it didn't make the contest deadline but I was stoked with all the entries.  I'm always inspired by the stuff you guys build.

Luke51411

playpunk

Clean is an understatement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

alanp

We really do have some profoundly impressive builders on here.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

wgc

This is awesome!!!!!  !!!!!

!!!!

1. I've been dying to do an smd flanger.  My to-do list hasn't decreased to the point of doing that yet.  This is killer. If it was 1590a I would've passed out and hit my head or something.

2.  I've been wanting to do some kind of tutorial. As above.

3.  I'll be posting my not done in time build soon too. Love what I saw though, really tough choices.

Beautiful as always, Mark.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Leevibe

So perfectly planned and executed. You make it look so easy!

Which is hard

cooder

Really really amazing! Great work and what a superb implementation!
Did I mention the outside looks?! Fab all around! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jkokura

That's rad man. I love how well this one's been executed.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cooder

What type of magnification do you use if I may ask? Do you use a stereo microscope or jewellers loupe for soldering and checking the joints?
BigNoise Amplification

selfdestroyer

Such a precise and clean job. Thanks for breaking down your building steps also.

Cody

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

mean_dorris

Hogharry

Incredibly tidy. The minimal wiring is a win.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Tremster

Hexjibber

Super slick man, makes me want to try SMD but I think my wibbly wobbly hands will make a right hash of it probably! Must be like trying to give a fly a haircut!