News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel Build Complete

Started by carbonfreeze, June 16, 2010, 09:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbonfreeze

I finally finished this Chorus pedal. It was my most complicated build so far, or at least tied with my Dr. Boogie. This may be tougher because of the board size and the switches, which I've never done before. So that was neat.

I love the sound. It came out great, and it sounds better than my CE-2 ever did. Although I can't find my CE-2 anywhere, I suspect I've lost it in a move somewhere, and it's gone for good. No matter though, cause this one is much more versatile.

This was also my first attempt at using rub on letters. It's fine for simple labeling, but overall, I'll try to use another method in the future. In fact, I'm not going to clear coat over this, as the letters wear off, I'll label it with a decal and then clear it. One day.

pauloman80

That looks killer, man.  Really nice job!  Love the powder blue with the white chicken head knobs!  Got pics of the guts?  I'd enjoy seeing how the insides turned out.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

Haberdasher

Looks very cool.

Another vote for a gut-shot!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

CRBMoA

carbonfreeze

here's a couple  :)

not my best wiring job. The 3pdt wore me out on this one for some reason.

pietronet

Hi,

I have just finished the same pedal, do you have some distortion when you attack the strings hard?
Thx
Pierre.

eniacmike

I tried rub on letters too and it is alot of work. I do like the look of your pedal though, especially the white letters because as long as I am printing my decals with a b/w lazer printer they will always be BLACK.

I don't hear any distortion from mine but maybe it is because I use low output pickups, did you try adjusting the trimpot?

carbonfreeze

Sorry I took so long to reply. I haven't been building for the past several months. But a friend is working on one of these and I made a video demo for him. Check it out. My amp is a little gainy, but no, I haven't noticed any distortion from pick attack. I think eniacmike has a good idea about the trim pot.

Here's the video demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWcsXoLdLs

princeton

Quote from: carbonfreeze on January 10, 2011, 10:57:29 PM
Sorry I took so long to reply. I haven't been building for the past several months. But a friend is working on one of these and I made a video demo for him. Check it out. My amp is a little gainy, but no, I haven't noticed any distortion from pick attack. I think eniacmike has a good idea about the trim pot.

Here's the video demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWcsXoLdLs

Nice one, sounds so Purple Rain-y. Very useful video. Thx

rowland1

Thanks for the youtube demo. I am gonna have to build one of these. BTW, what is that "curiously strong" little pedal you've got on your board?

carbonfreeze

It took me a minute to figure out which one you were talking about, that's funny. The Altoids tin is a tap tempo for my DD7 delay. People love it and think I'm some kind of electronics wiz. And I love popping it open and showing the it's just 2 wires connected to a switch.

I really need to learn some Rush tunes and maybe some Police and Duran Duran to do a proper demo of the Pork Barrell.

rowland1

Using the Altoids tin is a cool idea. I'll have to see what I can squeeze into one of those.

Its funny you mention Rush - I always end up playing 'No One at the Bridge' from Caress of Steel when I try a new chorus pedal. Perfect for extreme swirly chorus.

Thanks again for your posts and reply. - Rowland