News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soddering...

Started by juansolo, March 31, 2015, 02:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

This winds me up...

Why have you decided to make the 'L' another 'D'? It really isn't. A sod is a bit of a bastard, or a clump of earth (sodomy is something else entirely).

Please stop it. ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

What kind of stupid sold would spell it that way?  ;-P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: juansolo on March 31, 2015, 02:26:19 AM
This winds me up...

Why have you decided to make the 'L' another 'D'? It really isn't. A sod is a bit of a bastard, or a clump of earth (sodomy is something else entirely).

Please stop it. ;)

It's like dropping your Rs, except we got the wrong liquid. Any for a round of goff?

mcallisterra

As a Brit living in Florida since 2001, that's one of the ones I've always been confused about. A bit like pronouncing herb 'erb'.  ;D

Also, I can't figure out why the 'i' was dropped from aluminium but no other elements. Why don't kids have helum balloons at parties?

Betty Wont

Quote from: mcallisterra on March 31, 2015, 07:16:02 AM

Also, I can't figure out why the 'i' was dropped from aluminium but no other elements. Why don't kids have helum balloons at parties?

Well, I don't use tantalium capacitors....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology

mcallisterra

Aha! Good point. Maybe we should try some though. They might sound better.

Betty Wont

Quote from: mcallisterra on March 31, 2015, 07:25:36 AM
Aha! Good point. Maybe we should try some though. They might sound better.
and change the name to unobtainum.

micromegas

haha, I had to search it just to be sure. My english isn't perfect by no means, but I like this definition:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Soddering
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jimilee

Herbs when you pronounce the "H" which isn't pronounced WITH the "H"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Justus

I agree wholeheartedly.  It's definitely spelled "solder".  (The "L" is silent though  ;) )

lars

My next build will be called the hydroseed, because I'm gonna sodder all up in there!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

RobA

This winds me up...

Please stop it. ;)

I'm pretty sure that this is one of those cases where the Americans have preserved an older English pronunciation while it changed in the UK. So, either way you look at it, it's England's fault.  ;D
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

Always cringe a bit when I hear "sodder" on Youtube vids.

"You're going to commit soddomy with a HOT soLdering iron?!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

This winds me up...

Please stop it. ;)

All depends where in the world you're from, we sodder/sawder 'round here, with leaded solder of course.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/19990/what-is-the-correct-pronunciation-of-the-word-solder
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

I always sodder my boards and then put them in Alumininininium boxes.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects