Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Minimoog!

Started by monkeyssj1, May 11, 2015, 03:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

Quote from: peAk on May 13, 2015, 02:17:10 PM
Quote from: playpunk on May 13, 2015, 02:03:35 PM
Ok, so you can use a sweet MIDI controller like those to run both analog and soft synths, including reason and omnisphere and whatever else people use for big ridiculous pads?

Just want to make sure I actually understand this stuff before I start down the rabbit hole.

Yes, this is correct. You will obviously need an audio interface that has a midi input or a separate midi interface to connect to the computer. ...but yes, midi controls midi hardware as well as software synths

Awesome. MIDI is a mystery to me. I guess I could self educate on it... but I'm too busy badly playing guitar or sticking stuff together with solder to bother.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

peAk

Midi can be as simple or as complex as you want/need

At it's simplest form, it's pretty much plug and play.

nimm

After these synths, more specifically the Crowminius, are built what is entailed to get them going and calibrated?  Is having an Oscilloscope necessary in the setup?

I've had many synths over the years but haven't tried building one yet.

Thanks

peAk

Quote from: nimm on May 13, 2015, 03:43:19 PM
After these synths, more specifically the Crowminius, are built what is entailed to get them going and calibrated?  Is having an Oscilloscope necessary in the setup?

I've had many synths over the years but haven't tried building one yet.

Thanks

this is something I would like to know as well and maybe raulduke, alan...maybe Brian could chime in on. I was able to find a free Oscilloscope software (vst) plugin that seems to work pretty well. I would like to know how different building a synth is than a pedal. Obviously there is a lot more components but other than that, what are some other concerns?

JakeFuzz

http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/lookit.cgi?-v9901.2166

Looks like you need a frequency counter and a multimeter. I have a scope with a frequency measure function that I am going to use for the oscillator calibration.

peAk

Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 13, 2015, 07:46:58 PM

Looks like you need a frequency counter and a multimeter. I have a scope with a frequency measure function that I am going to use for the oscillator calibration.

Thanks Paul, just the kind of info I was looking for.

Please update this thread with anything else you find/realize/etc. and I will do the same. I will also be curious what enclosure you go with. I read through the Muff Wiggler pages and saw some of the ones people were thinking about. 

monkeyssj1

Besides the Arturia mini or micro brute, the Korg MS-20 Mini is really rad. That was my first synth and I still find new sounds out of it all the time. They're relatively cheap considering how much they can do and how good they sound. It's fully analogue and monophonic.

Also in case you guys didn't see this thread. This is a mutable instruments pcb group buy thread that I believe is pertaining to the modular euromount stuff you were talking about:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133725

peAk

Quote from: monkeyssj1 on May 13, 2015, 08:08:50 PM
Besides the Arturia mini or micro brute, the Korg MS-20 Mini is really rad. That was my first synth and I still find new sounds out of it all the time. They're relatively cheap considering how much they can do and how good they sound. It's fully analogue and monophonic.

Also in case you guys didn't see this thread. This is a mutable instruments pcb group buy thread that I believe is pertaining to the modular euromount stuff you were talking about:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133725

Hey Daniel, I actually bought a MS-20 mini last year and absolutely love it. While not built anywhere near the quality of the original, it sounds every bit as good. The only problem is it doesn't have midi out so you couldn't use it as a midi controller. I have no idea why they wouldn't have implemented this but I guess they had to cut cost and the probably figured not too many people would be wanting to use it to control something else.

Besides this limitation, I do think it's the best commercial analog synth in that price range.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: peAk on May 13, 2015, 07:50:37 PM

Please update this thread with anything else you find/realize/etc. and I will do the same. I will also be curious what enclosure you go with. I read through the Muff Wiggler pages and saw some of the ones people were thinking about.

Sure! This one is definitely going to take me a while to put together. So far I am thinking of a 17x10" aluminum chassis which will be raised and angled using maple slab side pieces. The back panel will be a thicker gauge aluminum or steel sheet which will hinge from the bottom to open. The face panel I may get laser engraved from BNP if they can do that size and if the price is right. 

lincolnic

Quote from: peAk on May 13, 2015, 07:50:37 PM

It's worth noting that you don't need a frequency counter to calibrate the Minimoog -- a tuner will do just fine. If you've got a strobe tuner, that'll probably make things as easy as possible. This one's really accurate, and it's $15: http://katsurashareware.com/strobe/strobe.html

You don't necessarily need a strobe tuner either, just one that you trust is relatively accurate.

alanp

If you don't hugely care about being note perfect, you don't even need that. I've only calibrated my stuff where I knew what voltage to calibrate to, anything involving "play note C and adjust oscillator for frequency F" I haven't bothered with.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

monkeyssj1

Paul i'm somewhat interested in your enclosure as well :). Please let me know updates/if you plan on being down to do some for others (enclosure/faceplace or even just faceplate.)

nimm

Thanks guys about the calibration information after it's built.  I think I may have to wet my feet with one of the Mutable Instruments Ambika's or Shruthi's before tackling this.  I wouldn't have know about those synths without seeing this thread.  I know MI doesn't make those anymore but a couple places do sell the boards.
Cool stuff

peAk

What I am curious about is once this thing is finished and calibrated, how stable are the oscillators.

monkeyssj1

Quote from: nimm on May 14, 2015, 02:48:48 PM
Thanks guys about the calibration information after it's built.  I think I may have to wet my feet with one of the Mutable Instruments Ambika's or Shruthi's before tackling this.  I wouldn't have know about those synths without seeing this thread.  I know MI doesn't make those anymore but a couple places do sell the boards.
Cool stuff

Nimm could you post your findings for shruthi boards?? I would love one of those fellas sometime in the future.