News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Noob with some Moodring questions

Started by LateCentury, February 17, 2016, 01:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LateCentury

I'm planning on getting very ambitious and having this will be my first build... I've been watching a ton of videos and reading loads of stuff on these forums, so far I think I have a relatively good handle on the basics.  Couple of questions though... hopefully the (stolen) image will be self explanatory:

1. The two red/diffused LED's on D3 and D4, what exactly do they do? My main question is if they just act as diodes or if they actually light up. I'd like to poke them through the enclosure and incorporate them into my graphics if they do.

2. I've seen several completed Moodrings both with and without this extra board here, attached to the switch. What purpose does that serve?

Thanks!

flanagan0718

I built one of these over the summer. They are a great and fairly straight forward build. Also great choice, I love mine.
As far as the LEDs go I can't remember if they actually light up or not. I can open mine up and test it later. I'll report back later tonight.

The extra board at the bottom is a opto bypass board. This is used in place of the 3PDT switch. I recommend either getting one from 1776 effects (theirs is called the OPTOTRON) or from Grindcustoms (theirs is called the LUMEN). The are very helpful and make wiring much neater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnic

Just a note, you don't have to use an optical bypass board (or a 3PDT daughterboard) if you don't want to. It's a personal preference based on how the builder likes to do things. I just use regular 3PDTs most of the time, myself.

jimilee

The LEDs act as diodes in this application. That board is an optical bypass board which is a lot smoother and no click as compared to a traditional 3pdt bypass board. These boards make it a little bit easier to solder the wires all in on place rather than wiring each lug individually. I use them about half the time.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LateCentury

Thanks for the info! Now I just have to wait until Madbean starts offering the Mood Ring boards again...

LateCentury

Does anyone know if the SPDT/SPST switch is an on/on or on/off?

I don't really know what to shop for here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Moodring/Moodring2015.pdf

flanagan0718

Jules

Good luck with it, I wouldn't consider the Moodring an easy First Build.

LateCentury

Quote from: Jules on February 22, 2016, 03:52:26 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda seeing this already... I don't even have the board yet, (waiting for them to become available in March I guess?!) Would you be able to tell me what kind of problems I'd likely run into with this build versus an easier one?

flanagan0718

Quote from: LateCentury on February 23, 2016, 08:48:52 AM

Yeah, I'm kinda seeing this already... I don't even have the board yet, (waiting for them to become available in March I guess?!) Would you be able to tell me what kind of problems I'd likely run into with this build versus an easier one?

I ran into a couple of snags when I built mine. Wiring the stomp switch was an issue and I believe I was getting a little distortion when using my SG (humbuckers) vs my Lea Paul (P100s). Here are a couple things I've learned to do that might help.

-Print and mark up (make notes on) the document. Read the doc over a few times too.

-Check all values of components before soldering in place

-Take your time! this is a big one for me. I typically get excited when I see progress on something an accidentally skip a step or something.

-Don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone here is very nice and helpful.

Brian makes an incredibly useful build doc for all of his projects. There is a world of info in there. Just take your time with it and you should be ok.

-Mike-

selfdestroyer

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 23, 2016, 09:54:23 AM
Quote from: LateCentury on February 23, 2016, 08:48:52 AM

I ran into a couple of snags when I built mine. Wiring the stomp switch was an issue and I believe I was getting a little distortion when using my SG (humbuckers) vs my Lea Paul (P100s). Here are a couple things I've learned to do that might help.

-Print and mark up (make notes on) the document. Read the doc over a few times too.

-Check all values of components before soldering in place

-Take your time! this is a big one for me. I typically get excited when I see progress on something an accidentally skip a step or something.

-Don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone here is very nice and helpful.

Brian makes an incredibly useful build doc for all of his projects. There is a world of info in there. Just take your time with it and you should be ok.

-Mike-

Mike is giving very sound advice. Its hard to follow some of these but they are worth it.

Cody

Martan

I agree with the above. Find a way to look at your solder joints with good lighting and even magnification if possible. Most of my early build problems (and current :)) were due to missed solder joints, joints that didn't actually join the parts, or bad joints that look dull and crappy compared to the nice shiny good joints. The other major source was over- working wires to the point where they nearly break near the solder joint but still look connected. One tiny strand from a braided wire will keep it in place but not make a good connection. Its easy to break 'em.

Good luck!

Marty