News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TAPRECISE - Calibrated Tap Tempo with Presets, Subdivision and Modulation

Started by Marshall Arts, April 23, 2016, 12:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

I am really sorry I currently cannot support you better, Leetut. It's been a long time since I built my taprecise and the issues you describe do not remind me of anything I (or others) had to deal with before (there have been quite a few successful builds). Plus, my work load increased due to corona (nothing to complain about, really!), which kept me away from both, music and electronics for weeks...

I have never tried it with a 3PT2399 delay, mine works in a double PT Delay though. Don't see, why this should not work... What comes to my mind: Have you done Arduino programming before? If yes, you could try to write a small piece of code an manually (e.g. via the serial interface) set the resistance of the digipot (just to see if it reacts correctly). Also, you could check (much easier), if the tap tempo button is recognized by the arduino, check for the analog input that receives the echo beeps during calibration etc...

Leetut

no worries mate, 2x pt2399 also fails to calibrate for me,
same as before it seems to start then just ends in about 2 seconds

Marshall Arts

2 Seconds Rings a Bell... I think that If taprecise does Not receive an Echo within 2 sec, it will Stop the calibration. So, please Check If the echoes make it to the analog Pin (I will Check the Code tomorrow to See which one that is...)

Leetut

the receive pin is A0 and that must be working because it calibrates a single pt2399 just fine

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Leetut on April 23, 2020, 03:38:09 PM
the receive pin is A0 and that must be working because it calibrates a single pt2399 just fine

OK... I must have missed that the Taprecise Board seems to work on a single pt2399 delay.

Marshall Arts

I double checked my documentation (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5vtgOg9bRJjVGlIVDZxUUxfSDA), chapter 8. I remember it was kind of tricky to get the modulation running on the 2-PT-version. For the calibration of a 2-PT-Delay, I had to modify the code a bit (downloadable version!), so it might be, that that is the reason, why it isn't running on a 3-PT-Version (what is the complete schematic of that and what design is that - looks awesome and I see a lot of knobs and a microcontroller on your breadboard as well).

While I cannot really help with the 3-PT-Delay: What 2-PT-Design were you using... maybe I can help with that one.

P.S. As you mentioned the USB-Cable in your 1-PT-Design: Are all the GND (Taprecise, Delay etc.) connected to each other? Just an idea...

Leetut

I just disconnected the middle IC to go from 3x to 2xPT2399 to try the calibration,
my breadboard has a fv-1 reverb on the repeats and a mixer to blend them,
I couldn't find the deathklaw schematic to compare but it looks similar from the image in your docs

Leetut

fixed it, to get the calibration running I had to change:
sound = analogRead(receivePin);
      if (sound > 20)

to:

sound = analogRead(receivePin);
      if (sound > 5)

Marshall Arts

I am glad to hear that, congrats! Seems like the delay Sounds were Not loud enough or the noise Level was too high for taprecise to measure. Cool that it works now!

Ben N

Sorry to revive the zombie. Matthias, or if anyone knows, is the choice of transistors is critical? Would any high hfe or medium BJT do? Is hfe (or any other particular characteristic) important? I have 5c546, BC550, 2N5088, 2N5089, 2N3904. MPSA18... Just not BC547C.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Ben N on May 05, 2021, 02:01:20 AM
Sorry to revive the zombie. Matthias, or if anyone knows, is the choice of transistors is critical? Would any high hfe or medium BJT do? Is hfe (or any other particular characteristic) important? I have 5c546, BC550, 2N5088, 2N5089, 2N3904. MPSA18... Just not BC547C.

It should not be critical, 2N3904 should work, just check the pinout. Found here: https://www.quora.com/What-are-substitutes-for-BC547-transistors#:~:text=2N2222%20is%20the%20most%20common%20and%20excellent%20substitute%20for%20BC547.&text=The%20only%20minor%20changes%20are,%2C%202N4401%2C%20BC337%2C%20etc.

Let us all know, if it works.

Ben N

Thanks. The board is populated, except for the Arduino, which I have to test and code.

jhsa

Quote from: Marshall Arts on November 15, 2018, 04:18:19 AM
I might try it at some point as well, but am too busy currently, as I am working on my Linda Looper redesign. Seems like there is a lot of interest in Arduino-based control solutions ;-)

Hey, back after 5 years. I have learnt a bit more about coding. I can blink 4 LEDs instead of just two :)
Well, joking of course. But I did learn a bit more and been doing some cool projects as well. One of them is exactly an Effects Switcher (Looper). It is DIY, it is called iLoopino and you can find it on a Facebook group. Not my original project. I just help developing it.
But yeah, I finally came back to try the TapPrecise project. Is someone still building it?

gordo

Good to hear someone is still on it.  I miss hearing from Marshall Arts...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?