News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmoothAction

Been jamming on Mala recently. Minimal, latin, somewhat drone-y. Excellent music to listen to while working or doing hobbies as it doesn't grab the listeners attention too much, which can be an annoyance in the electronic music genre. Lots of music in that realm tries "too hard" to consume the listener. This is very chill and helps me work through whatever project I'm on without it being a total distraction. I'm really enjoying the whole album - Mala in Cuba

selfdestroyer

I have been enjoying the new Hammock album:

Cody

alanp

The moodiness of this reminds me of Bohren's "Maximum Black" from _Black Earth_.

(I found this through watching Luna Le playing Hendrix on a Japanese instrument, click through to "ZZ Top & John Lee Hooker" (wasn't actually ZZ Top), that linked through to Sumlin, Buddy Guy, Clapton, Johnny Winters, etc etc at Crossroads, disappointed at lack of Sumlin playing, search... this came up :) beautiful track.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

Sorry, but the start of the actual SONG is too rofltastic to not link here.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

SmoothAction

The only four words you'll ever need to know - - - Ximena, Ximena, Ximena, Ximena.

SmoothAction

...and because this thread is *seriously lacking* great music of this genre. Click on it. I dare you. No, I double dog dare you... you might just like it.  ;)

so that's six words you need to know, including Amon Tobin

jball85

I've been watching Jazz (Ken Burns documentary). This lead me to scrounge up some Charlie Christian recordings. If anyone out there is getting bored with their playing or usual type of music that they play on the guitar, then check out some mid 20th century Jazz artists. Either try to learn the songs or just noodle around on top of the songs, it definitely challenges one to expand their "guitar horizons" so to speak.

davent

Cover of Warm Leatherette, had been looking for Grace Jones' version and stumbled on this, rather intimate!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

SmoothAction

Good stuff all around fellas.

I've been diggin' on that latin flava recently. If you see my last posts it's obvious. I love synth/electronic music/production/sound design, and this dude has all that ON LOCK. Very strange genre mixing and very groovy. It feels like I'm in a Mexican nightclub, but said Mexican nightclub is on a spaceship in the far distant future and everyone is dripping with groovy swagger and taking shots of dope Mexican booty. That, or T-Pain and Frank Zappa's Jazz From Hell made little music babies.

The whole album is fantastic and surprisingly technical, and that always makes me feel ways about stuff. People who enjoy production quality and technicality will certainly get down with this.

Enjoy the whole album and listen to weird music every single day.

Artist - El Guincho
Album - HiperAsia

Here's a sample track, the second post is the whole album on a playlist.

SmoothAction

I HATE JIMMY PAGE

Does anyone listen to the other member's posts? I listen to everything posted here. On real speakers. Let's see how well y'all pay attention. NSFW. If you'll listen, it's a song about loving JP but I'm a bit doubtful that will stick. People love their box. Stay in the box.

raulduke

Really like the new Radiohead track.

Those strings are really nice (Jonny Greenwood to a tee).

Video is also very cool, though pretty disturbing. Postman Pat and Wicker man mashup  ;D

jball85

I just watched the Ken Burn's Jazz Documentary in it's entirety for the first time. When I initially watched it, around the time of it's release, I only caught bits and pieces. If you haven't seen this documentary, then you should. I've been stocking up on Jazz albums to jam with ever since.

lincolnic

Quote from: raulduke on May 05, 2016, 05:03:55 AM
Really like the new Radiohead track.

Those strings are really nice (Jonny Greenwood to a tee).

Video is also very cool, though pretty disturbing. Postman Pat and Wicker man mashup  ;D

Personally, I'm just glad Radiohead aren't making boring Animal Collective records anymore. Excited to hear what else they've got cooked up. More strings please! They sound like Jonny's been listening to some Owen Pallett as well.

Here's some more info about the video, for the curious: http://pitchfork.com/news/65256-radiohead-burn-the-witch-video-inspired-by-european-refugee-crisis-animator-says/

alanp

Picked up Bowie's _Black Star_ from the local Ware-whare. Vinyl.

First up, the quality was bloody AMAZING. No hisses, no noise, no pops, no rumble. This was through Dad's gooooood Pioneer turntable and my brother's HQ "Technics" needle. Better than lossless FLAC.

The first track reminded me a fair bit of Radiohead, actually.

I so, so, SO need to get a new turntable.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

raulduke

Have you exposed the vinyl gatefold to sunlight yet?

Really nice touch (not even his son knew about it!).

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/david-bowie-blackstar-gatefold-starfield/