News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any of you have your kid(s) on ADD/ADHD medication?

Started by peAk, June 22, 2017, 09:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neandrewthal

I took Aderall (a pill from my friend's prescription) once. It was one of the best experiences of my life. That is why I have never taken it again and would only recommend it as a last resort.

flanagan0718

Quote from: peAk on June 23, 2017, 01:47:47 PM
Wow.

There are lots of folks here in this community with kids (or with ADHD themselves) and I didn't see any harm in posting a question about general experiences that some may have had. While we are all pedal DIY guys, we are normal guys with normal lives, many with families.. There have been plenty of threads created that weren't about pedals here....

I wasn't looking for medical advice. I was wanting to hear people's opinion and experiences.

Thanks for the people that did share.

Brian, feel free to delete this thread.

Honestly if I had a conundrum like yours (which I very well might with my daughter) I would do the same thing you did. I value opinions here because, well I know you're all real people and have no "agenda". You're just looking out for your fellow diy'er. I see no harm in asking for experience and thoughts on a personal matter. But, it's not my forum.

Best wishes and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peAk

Quote from: flanagan0718 on June 23, 2017, 03:07:37 PM
Wow.

There are lots of folks here in this community with kids (or with ADHD themselves) and I didn't see any harm in posting a question about general experiences that some may have had. While we are all pedal DIY guys, we are normal guys with normal lives, many with families.. There have been plenty of threads created that weren't about pedals here....

I wasn't looking for medical advice. I was wanting to hear people's opinion and experiences.

Thanks for the people that did share.

Brian, feel free to delete this thread.

Honestly if I had a conundrum like yours (which I very well might with my daughter) I would do the same thing you did. I value opinions here because, well I know you're all real people and have no "agenda". You're just looking out for your fellow diy'er. I see no harm in asking for experience and thoughts on a personal matter. But, it's not my forum.

Best wishes and good luck.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it. I had a lengthy reply to a lot of things you guys mentioned but decided not to post about the topic anymore.

This forum has had threads about craft beers, politics, and all other sorts of topics that don't pertain to pedals and I never once thought that bringing up something like this would bother anyone. I have always felt that if you didn't want to read something, you skip over it, no?  Maybe one day the forum can have a place for people to post off topic discussions, away from people that just want to read about pedal building.

I also understand that Brian is a peaceful guy that likes to keep any kind of heated debates out of the forum and I respect that.

somnif

I think the "Talk to a Doc" posts aren't a case of "We don't want to read this" so much as "Opinions about mental health from non-professionals may be detrimental".

We aren't annoyed with you, we're worried! Seriously, brain chemistry and mental health are so unique and individualized that no 2 people will ever react the same way. Only someone trained in recognizing, diagnosing, and treating it can actually help you in any meaningful way.

Asking others experiences is fine, but trying to fit those experiences to your own is a fairly dangerous exercise in this case. One guy may react fine to ritalin and poorly to adderall. The next person may have the exact opposite experience. And a third person may react poorly to both. And a fourth fine to either.

Brains are weird man.

peAk

Quote from: somnif on June 23, 2017, 04:17:38 PM
I think the "Talk to a Doc" posts aren't a case of "We don't want to read this" so much as "Opinions about mental health from non-professionals may be detrimental".

We aren't annoyed with you, we're worried! Seriously, brain chemistry and mental health are so unique and individualized that no 2 people will ever react the same way. Only someone trained in recognizing, diagnosing, and treating it can actually help you in any meaningful way.

Asking others experiences is fine, but trying to fit those experiences to your own is a fairly dangerous exercise in this case. One guy may react fine to ritalin and poorly to adderall. The next person may have the exact opposite experience. And a third person may react poorly to both. And a fourth fine to either.

Brains are weird man.

No worries, I totally get it.

Thing is, his teachers and pediatrician are already onboard for medication. I simply created this post because I am conflicted.

Nothing more than that.

Valid

peAK,
You have my sympathy. I suggest you read as much as you can about ADD/ADHD before taking any decisions. I'm  ADD and my daughter was diagnosed last year.  I thought the book "Driven to Distraction" gave some insight into ADD. Feel free to pm me, if you have any questions.

matmosphere

From a teachers perspective I will say this. I had several students with ADHD in one of my classes this past year. One in particular was really difficult and would completely derail my class a few times a week. When I met with his parents they said he had been on medication the prior year but It altered his personality a lot. They felt like he was a different person on the medication and they just wanted their kid back so they had to stop. As a parent myself I totally get that and supported them 100%. Him being on medication would have probably made my job a lot easier this past year, but I'd never fault a parent for doing what they feel is right for their child's health.

I'm sure you'll figure out what's right for your son and your family. Make sure you have a good doctor who you trust. And remember Nothing that you are talking about trying is irreversible. 

Aleph Null

Wow.

For what it's worth, I took your original post as "I'm in conversation with medical professionals, but am interested in people's personal experiences." That's a very normal and healthy thing to do. I would object to starting a ADD/ADHD sub-forum (like that's up to me anyway!), but I didn't get the impression that's what you wanted. If you can find people here that you can connect with about non-pedal stuff, great! It's important to have people to share life with.

m-Kresol

Quote from: somnif on June 23, 2017, 04:17:38 PM

Brains are weird man.

Sorry, if I came off rude PeAk. Wasn't my intention. I'm totally fine with you asking or anybody posting about non-pedal related things. Somnif pretty much summed up what I was trying to say. I just think that getting medical opinions from a doctor is the way to go
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

Quote from: Valid on June 23, 2017, 06:33:47 PM
peAK,
You have my sympathy. I suggest you read as much as you can about ADD/ADHD before taking any decisions. I'm  ADD and my daughter was diagnosed last year.  I thought the book "Driven to Distraction" gave some insight into ADD. Feel free to pm me, if you have any questions.

A million times yes. That book is great! Super well written and informative!

brianq41369

A very slippery slope here? Meds do help, but I have seen people taking aterol turn into straight speed freaks during their later teens. Coincidence? Good luck to you & your family whatever the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk