News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sprout fuzz working but makes noise - help

Started by Ettore_M, September 07, 2011, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

Hi there! Need help here!

I built a sprout fuzz on veroboard (the one with the parallel lines  ::))..
When I plug it in, it plays ok, but it makes noise in the background (when I don't play.. ;D).
I double-checked for bad joints, wiring, etc., but I did not find something wrong. Maybe the fault is in the layout I made, so I attached the layout I made on DIY LC. I'm noob in this program, so I hope it does not confuse you..
I hope I made you understand what's the problem.. ::)
If you need any extra information, tell me

Thanks!

-Hector-

[attachment deleted by admin]
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

irmcdermott

Does it make noise when the pedal is on? In bypass? Or both? I haven't built the Sprout, but fuzz pedals in general can be noisy... even when you aren't playing. Unless it's like a Sabertooth and has that gate control, that may be normal. Maybe someone who has built one can chime in, but I'm going to say that it is because it a fuzz, and well, they are noisy.

gtr2

Is it in an enclosure or are you testing it out of box?

It will be pretty noisy unshielded.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Ettore_M

Quote from: gtr2 on September 07, 2011, 05:59:03 PM
Is it in an enclosure or are you testing it out of box?

It will be pretty noisy unshielded.

Josh
I wanted to tell you about that.. I haven't boxed it yet, because I prefered to follow Brian's rule. I thought that if I grounded the jacks, it wouldn't have a problem.. Do you think it's because of me not boxing it?
Now for the layout. Do you think it's right? It's the first time I do this..
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

gtr2

An unshielded fuzz circuit is going to be noisy.  Just grounding the jacks only completes the circuit so you get a signal.  Once in the enclosure the jacks ground through the enclosure and help shield the effect.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Ettore_M

Quote from: gtr2 on September 08, 2011, 02:30:26 AM
An unshielded fuzz circuit is going to be noisy.  Just grounding the jacks only completes the circuit so you get a signal.  Once in the enclosure the jacks ground through the enclosure and help shield the effect.

Josh
Aha.. I understand.. Thanks, Josh!!! ;D

Hector
- Culturejam

Ettore_M

But can anyone tell me if the layout is right? I want to know if I do it the right way..  ;D
Thanks!

Hector
- Culturejam

irmcdermott

From a quick glance, it looks like everything is connected correctly. You could probably trim down the layout a bit. I've only ever done one vero layout/build, so maybe someone else will catch something, but it looks correct to me. If you want, you can just wire lug 2 of the pot straight to the output jack and not run the wire to the board first.

Ettore_M

Quote from: irmcdermott on September 08, 2011, 07:46:12 AM
From a quick glance, it looks like everything is connected correctly. You could probably trim down the layout a bit. I've only ever done one vero layout/build, so maybe someone else will catch something, but it looks correct to me. If you want, you can just wire lug 2 of the pot straight to the output jack and not run the wire to the board first.
ok. I'll do that.. But do you think that the bigger layout will cause problems in the sound?
- Culturejam

irmcdermott

Ettore_M

- Culturejam

dwstanford

Yeah, i would try boxing it up, but not soldering the connections down until you are sure.  With a fuzz build, you will definitely get some background noise even when in the enclosure, but it will be more pronounced out of the box.  The layout shouldnt make a difference sinc there is such a low part count.  A more complicated build would benefit from being cut down, but yours should be fine.  Ive built this circuit a few times and it will have some noise, but isnt overly noisy.  Good luck.

Ettore_M

Thanks for the help, guys! I wired it up and boxed it in a can box.. It has some noise, but I don't care.. I like it very much and I'm so excited with the result.. I'll post photos and sound samples in the "build reports" when I find some time. Well, thanks again! ;D
- Culturejam

dwstanford

Im glad you like it.  Be sure to post some sounds.  Id like to hear it.

Ettore_M

Quote from: dwstanford on September 09, 2011, 08:20:49 AM
Im glad you like it.  Be sure to post some sounds.  Id like to hear it.
You bet I will... ;D
- Culturejam