News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sprout fuzz working but makes noise - help

Started by Ettore_M, September 07, 2011, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

I just went through your layout compared to the schem and everything is connected correctly. There's many jumpers that can be omitted and things could have been lay'd out closer and smaller but you'll get better with practice. The most useful knowledge is knowing how many spaces your components are gonna take up, that way everyone can be put real close. For instance box caps have 1 row between their leads while resistors can be bent to fit many sizes. Hopefully you can get rid of the noise when boxed!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Ettore_M

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 10, 2011, 02:27:54 PM
I just went through your layout compared to the schem and everything is connected correctly. There's many jumpers that can be omitted and things could have been lay'd out closer and smaller but you'll get better with practice. The most useful knowledge is knowing how many spaces your components are gonna take up, that way everyone can be put real close. For instance box caps have 1 row between their leads while resistors can be bent to fit many sizes. Hopefully you can get rid of the noise when boxed!
Yes, now I know that it could be much smaller. It's not that easy to make it the smallest the first time, but I guess next time the result will be better. This was the first time I worked on veroboard and I found it tricky to layout the components. I left out space unused  :( ... Nevermind. Now I have put in a can box, but later I'll put in a 1590b. Could the 1590b have less background noise? Because I still have a little noise. And also, can I put the resistors vertically without having problems? (I guess that's what you meant when you saythat resistors can be bent to fit many sizes.)

Thanks!
Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm not really sure where your background noise is coming from, but if your using a power supply I'd make a tiny vero circuit of that huminator and put it in the enclosure too. That is if it bothers you that much and it will be slighty tricky fitting it all in a 1590b, thus why the smallest possible layout would work best.

Yes you can stand them up vertically to take up almost no space at all, it doesn't affect the sound in any way. I also saw a few places where jumper wire could be eliminated to make it more compact. It's a little trial and error to get it down how big each component is but it gets easier. If you need help I could show you what I mean, but i think you can figure it out by inspecting existing layouts.

Ettore_M

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 11, 2011, 09:47:12 AM
I'm not really sure where your background noise is coming from, but if your using a power supply I'd make a tiny vero circuit of that huminator and put it in the enclosure too. That is if it bothers you that much and it will be slighty tricky fitting it all in a 1590b, thus why the smallest possible layout would work best.

Yes you can stand them up vertically to take up almost no space at all, it doesn't affect the sound in any way. I also saw a few places where jumper wire could be eliminated to make it more compact. It's a little trial and error to get it down how big each component is but it gets easier. If you need help I could show you what I mean, but i think you can figure it out by inspecting existing layouts.
A huminator is a great idea.. Thanks! I've been checking beavis audio lately and I thought I could build that to see if that noise would go. Maybe this is the solution. I'm using a little crappy power supply, but I didn't think it could be that..

As for the resistors, I have seen others standing them up vertically, but I thought there must be a reason.. Now I know!  ;D

But I didn't understand exactly what you meant with your last words (It's not your fault.. It's because english is not my "first" language  ::)). If you could show me, it would be great!

Thank you, bigmufffuzzwizz (Is Magic your real name??  ???)! You've been very helpful!

Hector

" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

bigmufffuzzwizz

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cheap power supply causing tons of noise. By adding the huminator your sorta adding in a power filtering that should be in the power supply, but probably isn't if its cheap.
In the last part I'm referring to the space between the leads of components or the actual size of them. Once you know how much space (how many holes the leads are separated by) to leave it will be easier to make a really compact layout. I believe you can learn pretty quickly by looking at really neat layouts, for instance one's made by Dragonfly, Ibodog, Ivark.
Yes that's my real birth given name, pretty wild huh? Didn't choose it but I'm thankful for it now  :)
If you have other questions just ask! Sure enough someone will have an answer!

Ettore_M

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 12, 2011, 08:54:29 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cheap power supply causing tons of noise. By adding the huminator your sorta adding in a power filtering that should be in the power supply, but probably isn't if its cheap.
In the last part I'm referring to the space between the leads of components or the actual size of them. Once you know how much space (how many holes the leads are separated by) to leave it will be easier to make a really compact layout. I believe you can learn pretty quickly by looking at really neat layouts, for instance one's made by Dragonfly, Ibodog, Ivark.
Yes that's my real birth given name, pretty wild huh? Didn't choose it but I'm thankful for it now  :)
If you have other questions just ask! Sure enough someone will have an answer!
OK! I'll add the huminator.. I'm sure that this time the noise will go away.I should have thought sooner the crappy power supply.. ::)

Again, Magic, you've been very helpful. ;)

Thanks!
Hector
- Culturejam