Main Menu

Quaverto Harmonic Trem

Started by stringsthings, August 21, 2018, 04:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

cooder

Yes looks cool.
Seems to have a good number of elements in common with Drolo's excellent Twin Peaks Trem whoch I have built the first version of.
https://www.davidrolo.com/product/twin-peaks-tap-tempo-harmonic-tremolo-v3-nos/
BigNoise Amplification

HamSandwich

Lots of interesting bits in there! Harmonic mix???

The trimming of the highs and lows also sounds like it would be fun

Aentons

I haven't seen an enclosure like that before. Anybody know what it is?

Also, how do you make faceplates like that?

midwayfair

This is certainly far fewer hoops to jump through for out-of-sync LEDs than using the normal TAPLFO.

Quote from: HamSandwich on August 21, 2018, 04:24:29 PM
Lots of interesting bits in there! Harmonic mix???

The trimming of the highs and lows also sounds like it would be fun

Harmonic mix is basically a knob version of Dave's switch for bass only/treble only, or the B mode in the Cardinal.

And actually a good price all around.

Brach

I just wanted to jump in to answer Aentons questions...
The enclosure is a custom chassis we had made.  It's laser cut 18 awg galvanized in 2 parts, held together with screws and threaded inserts.  You can check out our assembly manual if you want a closer look.  We just had a local sheet metal shop make them for us.
The faceplate is actually a die-cut polycarbonate adhesive label.  It's basically a thin piece of plastic with 3M adhesive on the back. We had good luck using this type of label on our Percolator amp so we decided to try it on our pedals.  They seem to work really well for this application...they're super rugged.  You can get them from a lot of label/sticker manufacturers...we used Tailored Label in Wisconsin.
Let me know if you have any other technical questions.
-Brach
Product designer for Zeppelin Design Labs
Connect with your music : Build your own gear!

chromesphere

Hi Brach,

Received my unit from Glen for review this week, thanks again for sending it in.  The enclosure is very nice.  The two plates fit together very well.

I like the sticker too.  For those that haven't seen it in the flesh, its more like a sheet of plastic then a 'sticker', very durable.

I just finished powder coating mine.  Blue was in the gun, not the best suited color, but better then bare metal (imo).

I mention this in my overview video of the Quaverato.   You guys should consider painting / powder coating the enclosures.  I think you've done a great job to bring the project up to this point, seems like its just the final step.   Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gordo

I like the retro look and the effort put in to making it so.  Looking forward to seeing this one built up.  For $89 it seems like a steal, especially considering the cool enclosure and label.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

stringsthings

Quote from: gordo on August 26, 2018, 08:11:49 PM
I like the retro look and the effort put in to making it so.  Looking forward to seeing this one built up.  For $89 it seems like a steal, especially considering the cool enclosure and label.

+1
All You Need Is Love

Adam_DIY

They look great once I get my house move out of the way I'm definitely having one.

Aentons

I like the bare metal look on this one. The face plate really compliments it.

Brach

Wow Paul! That's so cool that you powder coated it! I will admit that it looks very nice powder coated...it even matches the PCB.  You'll definitely have a one-of-a-kind custom Quaverato now!
I was going for more of an "industrial" look with the bare metal chassis.  That's just my design style, I guess. I studied graphic design as well as EE in school, so I'm very drawn to a product's "look" as well as it's functionality. We may consider powder coating our next pedal if I can find a way to keep the strong "industrial" theme going.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Product designer for Zeppelin Design Labs
Connect with your music : Build your own gear!

gordo

Hey Brach, welcome to the forums!  I'm embarrassed to admit that I leave the boxes natural because I'm:

• lazy
  • a mediocre rattle can painter
  • a decent powder coater...but if I do it in the basement again my wife will have my head on a stick
Gordy Power

chromesphere

Quote from: Brach on August 27, 2018, 03:34:29 PM
Wow Paul! That's so cool that you powder coated it! I will admit that it looks very nice powder coated...it even matches the PCB.  You'll definitely have a one-of-a-kind custom Quaverato now!
I was going for more of an "industrial" look with the bare metal chassis.  That's just my design style, I guess. I studied graphic design as well as EE in school, so I'm very drawn to a product's "look" as well as it's functionality. We may consider powder coating our next pedal if I can find a way to keep the strong "industrial" theme going.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Ah ha!  That explains it, now i see...  Im so used to powder coating bare enclosures i didnt even realise it was intentional :)

I must say it was such a pleasure assembling this kit.  Everything was so thoroughly well explained and thought out.  Some challengers new pedal builders would normally have (led height, working out the different components, shorting of the pot housings on the solder joints, etc etc) with a complicated effect are solved with your kit.  I think anyone with basic soldering skills and patience could put this effect together no problem.

Heres some photos of the build on my facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/diyguitarpedalscomau/posts/1673621682760793?notif_id=1535405330913666&notif_t=page_post_reaction

Thanks again for sending it in!   I will be filming a build report and sound demo of the unit soon.
CHeers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gordo

Whoa!  100ms delay...whoa.  That looks crazy nice.  I love that color.
Gordy Power