News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - incoming

Started by madbean, May 05, 2019, 06:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Quote from: Timko on May 07, 2019, 07:57:47 AM
I assume most offsets are poorly slotted from Fender these days.  I own a Johnny Marr Jaguar (great guitar BTW, maybe the best under 2k guitar they make), and had to have the nut replaced due to spacing.  The high E would fly off the fretboard with any amount of pressure applied to it because it was cut so close to the edge of the board.  When I hard the guitar repainted by a local builder, I had the nut replaced.

Yeah Fender - the nut ain't supposed to be the offset part!

Timko

Quote from: madbean on May 07, 2019, 08:00:28 AM
Quote from: Timko on May 07, 2019, 07:57:47 AM
I assume most offsets are poorly slotted from Fender these days.  I own a Johnny Marr Jaguar (great guitar BTW, maybe the best under 2k guitar they make), and had to have the nut replaced due to spacing.  The high E would fly off the fretboard with any amount of pressure applied to it because it was cut so close to the edge of the board.  When I hard the guitar repainted by a local builder, I had the nut replaced.

Yeah Fender - the nut ain't supposed to be the offset part!

I know the saddle width is supposed to be a little smaller on JMs and Jags than the rest of the Fender lineup (see the Staytrem page at http://staytrem.com/jag-jazz-bridge1), and would assume the nut width is as well.  My guess is that they're cutting standard Tele/Strat nut slots and it's a bad deal.

madbean

Quote from: Timko on May 07, 2019, 08:05:36 AM
I know the saddle width is supposed to be a little smaller on JMs and Jags than the rest of the Fender lineup (see the Staytrem page at http://staytrem.com/jag-jazz-bridge1), and would assume the nut width is as well.  My guess is that they're cutting standard Tele/Strat nut slots and it's a bad deal.

The pic on the Fender website shows a correctly spaced nut so I think this is a manufacturer issue, not design. Although it does look a little off on the E to E at the highest frets. I dunno.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-products/j-mascis-jazzmaster/0371060541.html

Timko

I have a friend that works at a store that stocks a lot of offsets, and has offsets custom built by the people who pained mine (Seuf Guitars if someone wants an amazing offset well below Fender Custom shop prices), so I've had a chance to play a lot of these.  I've seen more poorly cut nuts on those particular instruments than correctly cut ones lately.  I'm not sure if QC is out on sabbatical, but it seems likely.

Aside from the nut, those JMs are an amazing value.  It would definitely be my suggestion for anyone looking to join the offset cult.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on May 07, 2019, 07:59:16 AM
Quote from: jimilee on May 07, 2019, 07:43:32 AM
Yeah, the E breaks back to the left after the nut.
Are you going to fix it or return it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm leaning towards returning it. I could make a new nut for it but would rather not have to do that on a brand new guitar. I guess I'll have a talk with Sweetwater and see what they say. Only time I've ever had a problem with something I purchased from them.
I had a problem with one from them, jack was shorting against the enclosure. They sent me money and I just fixed it myself. The guitar was discontinued and this was the last one. I believed him because they were the only place I could find it.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

great, now I'm second-guessing the classic vibe jag ...
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Timko

Quote from: thesmokingman on May 07, 2019, 09:33:06 AM
great, now I'm second-guessing the classic vibe jag ...

Let me know what it looks like.  My store hasn't gotten one of those in.  Binding and blocks?  Dead sexy.  If you change out that pickguard to a black/white/black one and paint that headstock black, that would be a hell of a guitar for not a lot of cash.

Also, a protip to anyone who ends up with a Fender offset. SHIM THE NECK.  StewMac sells awesome shims.  My Johnny Marr has it's neck cut at an angle, but nearly every JM/Jag has a 90 degree neck pocket.  The guitar was made to be shimmed to bring the break angle closer to that of an archtop.  It adds an appropriate amount of tension an keeps the bridge in place.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25516-diy-how-to-set-up-jazzmasters-jaguars

jimilee

I shim all of my fender guitars.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Quote from: Timko on May 07, 2019, 09:47:19 AM
Also, a protip to anyone who ends up with a Fender offset. SHIM THE NECK.  StewMac sells awesome shims.  My Johnny Marr has it's neck cut at an angle, but nearly every JM/Jag has a 90 degree neck pocket.  The guitar was made to be shimmed to bring the break angle closer to that of an archtop.  It adds an appropriate amount of tension an keeps the bridge in place.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25516-diy-how-to-set-up-jazzmasters-jaguars

I have a MIM Jaguar I picked up new maybe five years ago. Would that have the same 90 degree neck pocket issue? I haven't really have any issues with the action on that guitar, but I did have the bridge/trem system overhauled right after I got it.

Timko

Literally every Jag/JM ever has that problem.  CBS-era Fender tried to solve it on a myriad of guitars with the micro-tilt, which just warped the heel of the neck over time.  The only reason I know the Marr has the angle cut into the body was after a phone call to Fender where they looked at the CNC specs. The guitar is certainly playable if you don't shim it.  But if you want the neck angle to be as Leo intended, the shim helps immensely.

benny_profane

Quote from: Timko on May 07, 2019, 01:55:26 PM
Literally every Jag/JM ever has that problem.  CBS-era Fender tried to solve it on a myriad of guitars with the micro-tilt, which just warped the heel of the neck over time.  The only reason I know the Marr has the angle cut into the body was after a phone call to Fender where they looked at the CNC specs. The guitar is certainly playable if you don't shim it.  But if you want the neck angle to be as Leo intended, the shim helps immensely.
Ah thanks. Yeah it's certainly playable, but it could be worth checking out. Good heads up.

gordo

Sweetwater is superb to deal with so returning it should be no problem at all.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Yeah I'm going to return it. I think what I will do is hold off a while longer for more funds then get a Mexican Classic Player. I really liked the one I played in Sam Ash a lot. It's almost twice the price, though, haha.

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on May 07, 2019, 06:03:15 PM
Yeah I'm going to return it. I think what I will do is hold off a while longer for more funds then get a Mexican Classic Player. I really liked the one I played in Sam Ash a lot. It's almost twice the price, though, haha.

Glad to see that today's board has basically become an offset guitar forum. Those guitars deserve all the love.

I've been very happy with my MIM jaguar. Little to no problems really. Once I got the tension right with the bridge/vibrato, I haven't had to touch it (I've stayed with the same brand/gauge of strings though). I think that vibrato beats any other system. Smooth and very versatile.

matmosphere

Quote from: madbean on May 07, 2019, 06:03:15 PM

Sorry to hear the Mascis didn't work out. Keep an eye out on Craigslist. A couple cp Jazzmasters have popped up used for about $500.

I really like mine but it does have some issues with the neck being less stable than anything else I've ever owned. It needs a slight adjustment every 5-6 months unless it's haning by it headstock. Gravity seems to keep it in check.