News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BIG germanium MUFF

Started by dawson, May 25, 2019, 03:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Hello, I'm Dawson.  I've been building effects for a year or two, and lurking around these forums for a similar amount of time, oogling at all the awesome builds completed by incredibly talented people, but this will be the first time I emerge from the shadows and share a build of my own.

This is my 3rd build, 1st ever Madbean PCB (they're all oh so nice)

A MudBunny made to the Triangle specs using these germanium transistors from SmallBear (I had to see what the germanium hype was all about)
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/npn-hot-germanium-for-the-big-muff/

I'm as happy with the sound as I am embarrassed with my wiring job..so, VERY happy.

FACE:

GUTS:

Thanks for looking!

P.S. this is also my 1st time attempting to post embedded photos, if I'm doing it wrong, any help would be appreciated.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

EBK

Nice.  I've done much worse on wiring before.  I actually think the wiring isn't bad.

Those white jacks look interesting.

Are the graphics a decal? An etch?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dawson

QuoteReally nice man!
Thanks, DFX!

QuoteNice.  I've done much worse on wiring before.  I actually think the wiring isn't bad.

Those white jacks look interesting.

Are the graphics a decal? An etch?
Thank you too, EBK- I'm glad I'm not the only one around without irreproachably immaculate wiring skills.. The white jazz on the jacks are some 3d-printed washers I make in an attempt to keep my external components from protruding too far out- they also help the jacks clear the inner lip of the bottom-plate.  There's also a little 3d-printed bracket holding the pcb against the enclosure with double-stick tape.  Thank goodness for computers and robots.

Oh, and the graphics are an etch inspired by the good-ol' big-box American 'Muff that I always wanted, but never bought.

Hey, did you fellows have to click on the link to view the photos?  I've seen you post pictures properly, EBK, which image host do you use?

EBK

Quote from: dawson on May 25, 2019, 04:24:03 PM
Hey, did you fellows have to click on the link to view the photos?  I've seen you post pictures properly, EBK, which image host do you use?
I use imgur.com.
The key to embedding pics is that you need a direct link that ends in .png, .gif, or .jpg (maybe some others would work too).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dawson

QuoteI use imgur.com.
The key to embedding pics is that you need a direct link that ends in .png, .gif, or .jpg (maybe some others would work too).

Thanks for the help- I can post like the big boys now!

TGP39

Great job Dawson.   Your wiring will get much better as you continue to build.   What counts is that it ROCKS!   Love the design too.  Keep posting. 
-Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

jimilee

That looks fantastic and if you're like the rest of us, you start out with the intention to pay detail to wiring, but by that point, you're just ready for it to be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Top job! And that graphic looks great, great etch man! I'm curious now about a germanium muff... sigh...
BigNoise Amplification

ahiddentableau

Welcome, and congrats on your build!

I wouldn't worry about the wiring.  If somebody strated a thread asking members to post the wiring jobs on their first few builds, you'd stop being so hard on yourself.

Willybomb

Quoteif you're like the rest of us, you start out with the intention to pay detail to wiring, but by that point, you're just ready for it to be over.

Nailed it.

EBK

Quote from: ahiddentableau on May 25, 2019, 05:54:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about the wiring.  If somebody strated a thread asking members to post the wiring jobs on their first few builds, you'd stop being so hard on yourself.
I swear we had such a thread.  I remember posting about my early stuff. 

Edit: I was probably thinking of this:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=27473.0

dawson

QuoteI'm curious now about a germanium muff... sigh...
It wasn't the cheapest experiment, but I'm really happy with the resulting sounds- great with my humbuckers, greater with my bass, and SO good with my buddy's Rhodes piano..

An added benefit to the germanium build is that if I ever feel the need, I can look down my nose and make snide comments to store-bought 'Muff users and probably convince them that my 'Muff is unobtainably "better" than their 'Muff, so if you do build one, be sure that the enclosure proudly says "GERMANIUM" for other guitarists to see and fear you..
However, if building effects and reading these forums has taught me anything, it's that different isn't necessarily better, it's just different, and every 'Muff deserves love, adoration and much respect.

QuoteCaution: gruesome guts of first pedal thread.
What a great thread- my 1st build (BYOC Li'l Reverb) will make a fine addition!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement- I'll still attempt to do better work in the future, but now I know that I don't need to stress quite so much about the guts.