News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 28, 2020, 03:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTK

Quote from: EBK on March 07, 2020, 01:57:23 PM
I'm about to head to Walmart to buy a bunch of stuff entirely unrelated to disaster prep (barbecue sauce, t-shirts, etc.). 

Will report back if I see anything amusing or scary.  ;)

lol I was just at Wal-Mart yesterday (barbecue sauce, chicken, and bananas) and they were completely out of Lysol, wipes and spray. Clorox too. Also, those massive bags of rice and dry beans. Completely empty shelves.

EBK

Is your barbecue sauce Stubb's Original, by chance?  That would be a hilarious coincidence.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

culturejam

The only thing I've seen wiped out in stores is face masks and hand sanitizer. Still got isopropyl and wipes and gloves. And no food seems to be selling out at all.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

MTK

Quote from: EBK on March 07, 2020, 03:28:36 PM
Is your barbecue sauce Stubb's Original, by chance?  That would be a hilarious coincidence.

Heh No. I've been meaning to try that though.

Sweet Baby Ray's and KC Masterpiece

EBK

Quote from: culturejam on March 07, 2020, 03:30:13 PM
The only thing I've seen wiped out in stores is face masks and hand sanitizer. Still got isopropyl and wipes and gloves. And no food seems to be selling out at all.
Walmart was uninteresting.  Not an overly high volume of people, and no empty shelves.  My wife says the Tylenol et al. area was a little empty, but I doubt that has anything to do with panic.  I didn't look at the hand sanitizer area though.

They were almost completely out of white t-shirts though, and I am in low supply.  :o
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

Quote from: EBK on March 07, 2020, 12:12:20 PM
I'm waiting for the first death from people fighting over supplies they don't really need.  This will happen in the US at some point.

i was going to say it would happen in a Walmart but you're already on your way there...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mjg

Quote from: davent on March 07, 2020, 05:17:23 PM
Quote from: EBK on March 07, 2020, 12:12:20 PM
I'm waiting for the first death from people fighting over supplies they don't really need.  This will happen in the US at some point.

i was going to say it would happen in a Walmart but you're already on your way there...
dave

Apparently someone did pull a knife in the toilet paper aisle in Sydney last week, and another report of police having to separate a pair of women fighting over the last toilet paper yesterday.  People are stupid. 

pietro_moog

In Italy we are experimenting a total lockdown. The situation is very heavy, but we don't have this violence one against each other. Actually people is not taking this Virus very seriously, schools are closed but kids are all around.
Everybody is out.
All i know about this Virus is that is a bioweapon planted by the US military in China at the war games of Wuhan.
Davos (the oligarchy) was preparing this since last year. The Virus first appeared in Italy in place very close to a US military base.

DLW

Quote from: pietro_moog on March 08, 2020, 12:21:46 AM
In Italy we are experimenting a total lockdown. The situation is very heavy, but we don't have this violence one against each other. Actually people is not taking this Virus very seriously, schools are closed but kids are all around.
Everybody is out.
All i know about this Virus is that is a bioweapon planted by the US military in China at the war games of Wuhan.
Davos (the oligarchy) was preparing this since last year. The Virus first appeared in Italy in place very close to a US military base.

There is an Italian equivalent to Alex Jones???

pietro_moog

peAk

the illness isnt that bad, the havoc on the economy is what I am worried about.

The media needs to start reporting that the illness is mild for most people. Stop scaring the friggin world from leaving their house.

jimilee

Quote from: peAk on March 08, 2020, 02:01:07 AM
the illness isnt that bad, the havoc on the economy is what I am worried about.

The media needs to start reporting that the illness is mild for most people. Stop scaring the friggin world from leaving their house.
So true.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

somnif

My local grocery store is almost out of toilet paper.  :-\

My state has had 3 cases, including our first "locally acquired" case. So obviously, pooping is now a luxury for the black market.

matmosphere

Quote from: somnif on March 08, 2020, 03:54:25 AM

My local grocery store is almost out of toilet paper.  :-\

My state has had 3 cases, including our first "locally acquired" case. So obviously, pooping is now a luxury for the black market.

Guess there's gonna be a lot of people doing the dirty walk.

As far as how it's being reported, I do hear the media (cnn, npr, nbc, nyt, wapo, and many others) mention that it is mild for many people who fall ill. I think it would be responsible to say most because some groups seem more at risk than others, but without a more complete data set it's hard to responsibly assess that for certain.

It isn't the media that is restricting travel, or quarantining people in hotels or closing schools.  I'm not begrudging those decisions, or anybody's decision to stay home from work or buy some extra cottonelle. But I think that's all a reaction to what is being done, let's keep in mind though the media didn't do those things, they just reported that those things were done, which last time I checked was their job.

somnif

QuoteAs far as how it's being reported, I do hear the media (cnn, npr, nbc, nyt, wapo, and many others) mention that it is mild for many people who fall ill. I think it would be responsible to say most because some groups seem more at risk than others, but without a more complete data set it's hard to responsibly assess that for certain.

Yep, for most people, all you get is a mild fever and a bit of a cough. Funny enough, my store still had plenty of robitussin on the shelves.

The exceptions to this are people with per-existing cardiopulmonary problems (asthma, bronchitis, etc, you cough a lot and stress those vessels) and people over 60 years old. The age distribution has actually been fascinating in this regard as usually it's "the very young and the very old" but it seems kids are rather resilient in regards to this bug (maybe their lungs are just more flexible, dunno).

Current numbers show for people under 50 it's actually a bit less deadly than the Flu. For people over 80, it's incredibly dangerous (with a death rate of about 1 in 7 or 8, though that is a tad skewed by circumstances).